Iron Hand . Norse single edged sword.

owen bush

Jarn Hond (Iron Hand)

This single handed Norse sword is patternwelded from 4 bars of steel, 3 twisted bars of 7 layers twisted clockwise, anticlockwise and then clockwise again. The 700 layer edge shows subtle patterning in contrast to the twists. My favorite patternwelding has elements that can be seen from a distance and then subtle patterning in the steel that draw you in, bling bling , wait a minute whats going on there!

Material for blade and fittings is 15n20 and EN42J (1080ish)

The guard is made from patternwelded steel, forged and heavily etched to emulate striped inlay, and is the bit I'm super stoked about .I have tried this a few times over the years and this was the first time I got the scale of the stripes rite without messing with them. I simply do not have the patients for wire inlay work so this is my in the style of could have been done like this version of inlay!

The blade is 31 ¾ inches long,  5mm thick at the guard, and 1 3/4 inches wide. The sword is 38.5 inches long over all.

Point of balance is 5 inches into the blade.

The sword weighs 2lb and 10oz.

The fittings have given this sword its name “Iron Hand”. The handle is leather over wood.

34451661123_6f9da8dd36_z.jpg

I deeply etched the fittings so there is a textual diference as well as colour and depth.

35260940025_e5f81d5bbc_z.jpg

All steel blade with bold and fine pattern.

35260941675_25d0369c12_z.jpg

close up of the Tip

34451661903_4a86d4ff0a_z.jpg

I must admit that over the last couple of years some awsome pieces that have come out of my shop with amazing handle work from the Likes of Petr Florianek and Jake Powning have  left me feeling a little bit like the guy who just made the blade ( I hand over Impressive sword and get "awsome handle "comments...yes , I didnt make that bit..... what about the blade!!)....so I will be doing a few more finished swords.  In a world where I can never be Petr of Jake I can still try to be a better version of me!

• Like 5

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

Beautiful work; that steel is mesmerizing.  Is that the blade you were talking about in the video you recently posted?  I am glad that you will be producing more finished pieces.  I quite like the finished pieces that you make so its good you will be making more.  The guard and pommel are great too.  I love the etching

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

Beautiful sword! I love all how you used all of the different textures and flavors of pattern weld to make this piece. I see many swords with pattern welded fittings and they just "look wrong". This is not one of those swords!

I'm also happy to see you'll be doing more of your own hilts. They definitely have a certain charm to them. I usually get a bit of the opposite expression from my higher end work, though. I can show somebody the knife, and they just look at the blade and say, "Whoa! Is that Damascus steel?" 

"
Yeah. Anyway, do you see how detailed those handle carvings are? That took me like a whole week to do." hahaha

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Loves it. You have created a beautiful sword there. The grip complements the guard and pommel by not overpowering them yet you managed to get a 'used' look on the leather. It seems to suggest that the sword has been used yet the steel is unmarred. 

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

Pretty nice blade...LOVE the handle and fittings!  ;)  Seriously though I'm going to use the etching idea.

I have always thought that one man of tolerable abilities may work great changes, and accomplish great affairs among mankind, if he first forms a good plan....

- Benjamin Franklin

Really beautiful work, Owen! Love the guard and pommel!

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Excellent work sir, and the simulated inlay on the guard and pommel is brilliant!  The contrast between the bold and the subtle patterning of the blade is very well done.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook