Some new Puukkos

After working on KITH, personal projects, and a few commissions, I found some time to make a couple of these. They are both made in the Maasepän style, without a bolster and this in combination with the short tangs makes them very light and nimble. The blades are forged from 80crv2 and both have a high scandi grind (upon request, I can add a secondary bevel if you prefer that as well) which give as very keen edge which is excellent for wood working. The blades are forged to a rhombic cross section with the thickest part being the ridge along the grind line. This allows them to cut in tighter curves, especially near the tip. The blades are hand finished on a series of oil and water stones to create a flat bevel which cuts well and is easy to re-sharpen. The handles are made from flame birch and birds-eye maple, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite woods. Included with each knife is a traditional custom fitted leather sheath with a wooded blade cover insert to protect the knife. The blades can be purchased on Etsy at the links below, or if you are interested you can send me a PM here. 

-Flame birch handle

-85 mm (3 3/8") blade

-195 mm (7 3/4") OAL

-PRICE: SOLD

https://www.etsy.com/listing/537713057/hand-forged-puukko-knife-with-flame?ref=shop_home_active_1

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

-Birds-eye maple handle

-85 mm (3 3/8") blade

-190 mm (7 1/2") OAL

-PRICE: SOLD

https://www.etsy.com/listing/537708723/hand-forged-puukko-knife-with-birds-eye?ref=listing-shop-header-1

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Aiden Carley-Clopton

Edited by Aiden CC
  • Like 1

Aiden, I am attached to these as well. Been using O1 round 1/2" and takes quite a bit of work including the sheath and the last. Anyway, more than most folks imagine. But what a reward to use one!

Gary LT

3 hours ago, Chris C-S said:

@Aiden CC these look nice, though, i cannot see a Markers Mark anywhere? 

Yeah, I really need to come up with a mark. Sometimes I stamp "A C C" on blades/sheathes, but with the stamps I have and it being three letters, it's hard to get it to look good without burning my knuckles.

Edited by Aiden CC
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Gary LT said:

Aiden, I am attached to these as well. Been using O1 round 1/2" and takes quite a bit of work including the sheath and the last. Anyway, more than most folks imagine. But what a reward to use one!

Gary LT

I used to make them out of O1 drill rod too, but I had some problems with it air hardening and making things difficult, so I switched to 80crv2. Since you need to make this kind of sheath specific to the knife, you can't really use a pattern, but I also kind of like that more "impressionistic" approach. 

On 6/20/2017 at 11:59 AM, Aiden CC said:

Sometimes I stamp "A C C" on blades/sheathes, but with the stamps I have and it being three letters, it's hard to get it to look good without burning my knuckles.

Bummer, i was going to stamp CCS on my blades given its my initials. I havent tried it yet. 

• 5 months later...

You might try a simple wax resist, salt water, and transformer etch for a mark.  Wayne Goddard shows how in his book, The Wonder of Knifemaking, pg. 72.