defective casting anvil

There is and anvil on an online auction site and it appears to be a discarded anvil due to a defective casting. There is a line that travels from the back of the anvil by the base and goes accross the face, up the horn and down the front to the base. The face appears to three different heights and the tip of the horn is defective also. There is no visable markings. There is a notch out of the back base, not a square handling hole but a square notch. There is a hardie hole but no pritchel. It appears to be around 100 to 125 pounds and cast steel. Im going to check it out in person tomorrow and i will bring a scale and take pictures to post.

My question is would it be worth  trying to get and having the face milled down and the horn ground into shape. And being it is a discard has it been heat treated or is that something that is done later in the process. Any answers would be appreciated the auction ends thursday so i have a few days for you guys to make up my mind. Thank you!!!

Run away!  No decent anvil maker would let a reject out the door.  Maybe post a link so we can see this thing, but ALL the red flags are flying high on this.

What Al said,  run away,  and as Geoff said, FUGLYAlso even though I am one for salvagin things That looks like a lost cause.....B)

Edited by Clifford Brewer
NUNYA B

Looks like somebody used a nice M&H Armitage "Mousehole" anvil as a pattern for sand casting and only cored the hardy.  Almost 100% certain to be plain cast iron and, as noted, not usable as an anvil.  Even if it were cast steel it has not been heat treated and that is beyond home shop capabilities.  

Would a rebound and ring test tell me if it is cast iron or steel? And i think i could heat treat it. I have seen someone do a similar task on the internet. Just check this out on anvil fire. Only I would build a propane forge big enough to fit the anvil.

http://anvilfire.com/21centbs/anvils/making/Krzyszkowski-115.php

What is the most anyone pay for this anvil. I wanna get my kids something thay can learn on!!! I already have a vulcan 100#er to match it.

http://www.jnjonlineauction.com/detail.asp?id=654733&n=9549P13-ANTIQUE-VULCAN-ANVIL

Or i could abandon both of these and drive accross the state of michigan and get a 175 pound anvil for $500. What would you guys do?

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

And i think i could heat treat it. I have seen someone do a similar task on the internet. Just check this out on anvil fire. Only I would build a propane forge big enough to fit the anvil.

In response to the above

Postmortem 
When done with the project Paul says he would never do it again. But I see on YouTube that he has made other smaller anvils. It gets in your blood. . . He says for the cost and time that he should have built a power hammer. 

Even assuming that such a pig could be heat treated, you would still have DAYS of grinding to make the poor thing even a little bit better.  So the given the cost, plus the cost of a one off forge and everything else, they would have to pay you AND deliver it, to even get close to break even.

The Vulcan is a little sad, but better, it's got some life left in it.

The 175# is $2.90 a lb, is not bad, depending on the anvil.  If you just want something for the kids to hammer on, find a piece of RR track, a forklift tine, or a big block of mild, you'd be better off.

This http://www.ebay.com/itm/4140-Alloy-Steel-Bar-6-0-Dia-X-5-0-long-/272726177904?hash=item3f7fbf3870:g:vawAAOSwpDdU3TE7 is about 160 lbs and would make a dandy anvil, and it could be HT'ed if need be.  I don't know this guy, I'm just saying.  BTW, I work on an post anvil like this, even though I have a #200 Fisher in the shop.

Geoff

There is a local machine shop that i used to work for tjat will mill the top for $100 and for the forge i have a pallet of fire brick and 17 boxes of 48"x300"x1/2" nutec max wool hps so the cost of the forge really isn't a problem and I like to do things like this but concidering that the anvil is already at $251 and when i checked it out today i put it on a scale and it is 95lbs so even if i got it for $300 and milled for another bill im at $400 then i still have the cost of the forge and propane. I think im going on a road trip and im going to get the 175lb anvil on the other side of the state. Its a little more money, a lot longer drive but its one hell of a anvil. There is no name, the only markings is 2 0's at the base. And a handling hole in the center of the base. But it is all steel. And for the kids im going to try to win the vulcan for no more than $125

Thanks everyone and i will keep you posted on what happens!!!

Good call, since cast iron is not heat-treatable in the first place.  You'd have been out $400 for a lump of scrap worth about $3, assuming your local scrap rate is the three cents/pound it is here.

I have to apologize, I made a huge math error in my post above.  I said that the 4140 blocks were 160 lbs.  They are not!  They are about 40lbs.  I still think that for the price, they would be a great starter anvil.  Weld a spike on one end and drive into a stump.  And for less than $100, shipped.

Mea Culpa

Geoff 

The only way i would even consider buying this this is if it was cast steel. I have an iron anvil with tool steel face and even though it serves its purpose i would never buy another cast iron anvil for personal use. As for buying one for the kids the 50lb vulcan would be something to consider to teach them on. My 100lb vulcan is in near mint condition and if anyone is going to chip the edges its going to be me.

And for the 4140 that looks like a good deal. Something to think about.

So i won the 50lb vulcan for $125. When i looked at it in person it actually dosent seem as damaged as it looks in the pictures. The kids are thrilled and monday im going to pick it up and I'm going to cut a log down so it is the right height for them and we are going to have a day of fun with it.