Jeremy Blohm

60lb power hammer build

I didn't do the best documenting the entire build but I will give you guys what I got.

The beginning.

20170408_204215.jpg

The hammer heat treat.

14921022027591123995858.jpg

1492098740895-875808889.jpg

I will be finishing up in the next few days and I will post some more pictures and a test video.

20170415_185745.jpg

Looks good.  What kind of drive system are you going to use?.

Just a word of advice.  I would cut the rail off the web, if that is going to be your bottom die.  The amount of stress you're going to put on the rail will start to deform the web pretty quickly.

Geoff

I have plans to get rid of the entire anvil and replace it with 8 to 10 inch solid round and mill the hammer to accept different dies and do the same with the anvil. And when i do all that i will have it setup at a 45° angle to support longer work pieces. As of now i can work 24 inch pieces. The main reason for the build is for drawing out billets of damascus so when i started i didnt think about doing other things but now that i think about it the dies should be at 45°. 

The drive system is a spare tire clutch system. I have everything to finish the job but the only problem i have is for now the only motor i have is a 1 1/2 hp 3450rpm so it might be a little out of control i have been watching the local online auctions for a 1750. The only one i have found so far is a 5hp 3 phase. And thats a little big. But i still bought it.

If you're going to mill the tup to accept dies, why go to all of the work to heat treat it?  I see now that you're headed for a rocking beam style.  If I were going to build another hammer, that is the design I would use.  Among other things, it puts the mass of the motor and drive wheel down near the ground, which is better for balance.

You could run the 3ph motor off a VFD, if you have 220 volts for input.

Geoff 

The reason for heat treating the face is because the original plan did not include the dies. And this was all done for less than $100. The only thing's I have had to purchase is the motor which was intended for a different purpose to begin with, the bearings, section of railroad track, spare tire and welding rod. As for the  5hp I'm going to build a 250lb power hammer in the future and that will use 2 of the 5hp motors so I have to get another one of those.

well everything works as its supposed to. I have a big turn buckle to put in to make adjustments to the hammer and then pour a pad and bolt it down. and I'm going to make some gussets for a little more support to the I-beam and anvil.

Well i didnt realize that the video was going to be a download should i post the video on YouTube and share the link? I have never posted a video to YouTube so any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

I am going to bring this thread back and do a bunch of modifications to my hammer. Right now the anvil is a couple pieces of C-channel welded together filled with sand and used oil. Not a very good set up at all. It is about 1-1 hammer to anvil ratio which absolutely sucks. It will move steel but not as effective as it is supposed to. I have found a couple forklifts at the local scrap yard and I am going to get the forks Tuesday for the anvil. I am going to add dies to it and get rid of the railroad track and have them mounted at a 45° angle. I also tried making the stroke longer and now the hammer binds up in the guide. I am going to rebuild the guide because right now it is metal on metal and I have UHMW to make a better guide. I tried using a smaller tire to try and make it run faster and it was a mistake. I have another tire I'm going to put on. I already added the turn buckle to make it adjustable. I'm still not sure what motor I want to use as a permanent drive. I want to try and find a heavier base plate but I think once I get the anvil built up and it bolted down it will be OK. I am also going to address my foot pedal situation. I'm really not liking it much but it works.  I will get some more pictures of how it is now in a little while. If there is anything you guys see that could be addressed that I didn't mention please share.

Nice score on the forklift.

I admire the ambition involved I making a power hammer or remaking one. 

I look forward to seeing how this all works out. 

• Like 1

When I get it done I will get some video of drawing out some steel. I can't wait to see it done. I haven't been very Happy with the performance. All these modifications will make it a lot better.

If there were only such a thing as a working "silenced" power hammer lol Id be able to have one at my place.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, AndyB said:

6 minutes ago, AndyB said:

If there were only such a thing as a working "silenced" power hammer lol Id be able to have one at my place.

That's when you build a press.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I may just have to do that one day.

Posted (edited)

Keep your eyes out for a used electric log splitter and modify it to be a forging press.

Or get one with a gas motor and convert it to electric.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I have an electric one I'm going to use to build one.

29 minutes ago, AndyB said:

silenced

This makes me think about the eBay anvil. One of my anvils is this anvil's big brother and it rings like a bell. I mean it is really loud. I believe it is the really long heal is why it is so loud. There is ways to dampen the noise like laying a bed of silicone and magnets under the horn and heal and a number of other ways but I dont think you can totally get rid of it. There are a couple anvil manufacturers that are naturally quiet like Fisher and Vulcan. Fisher is by far a better option. Vulcans suffer edge damage. I have a mint condition Vulcan 100 lber and love it.

You can hear the difference in this video.

Well because of my park management I'm limited on what kind of tools I can have for this. lol

I totally understand. I live in an apartment and I'm not allowed to have any of my fun tools.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I have an electric one I'm going to use to build one.

Now there is a project I could tackle. Those splitters show up around here.

Harbor freight sells them for $300 I think. Mine has a bad cylinder leak and a broken motor mount. I am going to BH build a whole new press using the motor and pump. I have some other cylinders I'm going to use. I might start a topic on that tomorrow if the wife doesn't have other plans for me.:wacko:

Well i forgot i havebto get steroid injections in my spine tomorrow so there wont be any junk yard diving this week. But i was just talking to a good friend who owns Dune Land at the silver lake sand dunes and he has a set of forklift forks they will never use and he is giving them to me. And the junk yard has 2 sets and i have a single fork and a couple chunks of the matching one so i should have plenty of steel to make an anvil and a bunch of dies for it. Looks like i might get close to the 15:1 hammer to anvil ratio.