Jeremy Blohm

60lb power hammer build

Here is the first pair of forklift tines. I'm getting 2 more tomorrow. Well I should say...hopefully. The yard wants $65 for a pair and they have 2 pairs. I'm bringing $100 with me and try to get both.

8619-MMS-1527712564000-attachment1-IMG_20180530_1635325761_01.jpg

I started thinking about it and these forks sre going to cost me more than building this whole thing.

So the guy at the scrap yard us a true yard dog...i brought $100 and he wouldnt take it. So im heading back ip there tomorrow to get the other set for $65. They dont have any other heavy chunks of steel so forklift tines it has to be. There is other junk yards around but they are 30 minutes away and every time im in the area they are closed. 20180531_212833.jpg

So far i got 2 sets and a single. Soon to be 3 sets 

I went to the yard to get the other set of forks and they had the hood up on the forklift and said "we think it's a runner and we don't want to sell them...have a good day!" Not even a maybe there's something here or is there anything else you wanna get. So I made the drive to muskegon and found a 2"x6"x72" plate that has a weight of 245lbs. So 2 sets of forklift tines and a single that isn't shown in the picture.

20180604_172732.jpg

I weighed the forks and the ones on the right weigh 75 lbs each and the ones on the left weigh 95 lbs each. All together it will be 585 not including the single fork I haven't weighed yet. And I will have some loss from cutting the corners out and getting rid of how they were attached to the forklift. Not quite as much as I want but it will have to do for now.

You could sell any decent sized drops as mini anvils to recoup costs.

Any drops are going to be used for dies.

are you making this similar to mine? or more like the helve "Appalachian hammer"? If there's anything I can do to help, just holler.  

Well its already built im just doing some modifications. There is a video of it running. My original plans was to build one like yours. But When i get my shop completely finished and all 3 60 gallon air compressors running it is getting converted to air.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Just scored another block of steel. This one is 7.25"x7.25"x31.5". Total weight 469lbs.Capture+_2018-06-09-12-49-47.png

It is in the back of my brothers truck still I will get a picture of it in a little while.

Some of the big commercial hammers had the anvil buried in the ground several feet deep.  

BTW, I know where there is a big (BIG BIG) piece of steel for sale.  It's 16" square and 11' long :P.  Just in case, ya know.

Geoff

For some reason it triggers a movie flashback,

"Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?"

• Haha 1

It's been in the scrap yard for years, I get all squidgy every time I visit.  Let's see 16" x 16" x 36", steel  is .3 lbs per sq in,  9216 sq in x .3, 2764 lb roughly.  Yeah, that would make a pretty good anvil, even if it's mild steel.  :lol:

geoff

1 hour ago, Geoff Keyes said:

It's been in the scrap yard for years, I get all squidgy every time I visit.  Let's see 16" x 16" x 36", steel  is .3 lbs per sq in,  9216 sq in x .3, 2764 lb roughly.  Yeah, that would make a pretty good anvil, even if it's mild steel.  :lol:

geoff

You want to set it on edge to get enough mass under it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

BTW, I know where there is a big (BIG BIG) piece of steel for sale.  It's 16" square and 11' long :P.  Just in case, ya know.

I am very curious where this might be. I have plans to build a 400# air hammer. I had a plate of steel lined up that was at an auction but the auction was cancelled due to legal reasons. Even if i have to drive across the country i would do it.

Seattle area, and there are some other big pieces as well.  It's not far from where I live, and I'm always will to put up another maker travelling through.

G

4 minutes ago, Geoff Keyes said:

Seattle area, and there are some other big pieces as well.  It's not far from where I live, and I'm always will to put up another maker travelling through.

G

Thanks Geoff i might take you up on the offer my wife would love to see Seattle!!! Do you know what they are asking a pound? 

Check this out also. I stumbled across this on iforgeiron.com.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/52480-massive-powerhammer-in-scrap-yard/

If you're serious, I'll take a field trip, make sure it's still there and ask them.

g

I'm definitely serious. It is exactly what I'm looking for! And another anvil trip sounds like fun. I need to talk to a buddy about using his flat bed or renting one.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"

(Sorry, I'm on a movie quote cycle)

So i went back to the junk yard and i found this gold mine someone just dumped yesterday.20180614_115729.jpg

I grabbed this square bar for my buddy's power hammer build. He wanted a round bar for his tup but i couldnt help myself when i seen it. If he doesnt want it for his tup then im going to use it for a post anvil. There is plenty of round bar to get so if he wants round then i will get him round. He can probably find a big brass bushing and then find round stock to fit it. 

Its about 150 lbs

20180614_120002.jpg

OK gang, is anybody else thinking "it's about time we do an intervention for Jeremy" or are we all going to be very jealous enablers ?

• Haha 1

Here it is next to my 450 lb anvil for my power hammer.

20180614_131919.jpg