Jeremy Blohm

60lb power hammer build

I cant help myself at $0.30 a pound.

• Like 1

This squar bar would make an excellent anvil for the mini power hammer in AJ's recent post.

I can't help myself, capitalist greedhead that I am, I keep thinking "find an efficient way of cutting and welding a spike on the bottom and selling chunks on Fleabay as "stump anvils" would pay for other tools.

This also crossed my mind but i wanna made sure it has a descent carbon content and harden them before i sell them. I wanna make sure people are getting a good product.

Even though that would be such a high bar for "Fleabay" I'd probably do the same.

Of course if you want to send me one for review.......:rolleyes:

Edited by Vern Wimmer
  • Haha 1

I just wish they were all fisher anvils like joshua of the fisher norris museum. I think he is slowly tilting the earths axis. I think he has already found 8 this year. 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

There is an auction coming up next month that has a really nice hay budden that im going to try to get :D

Do I see a hexagonal piece in there ?

You know, with the different sizes there, if they are hardenablle, you could easily fin yourself in the hammer business too. Although the anvil thin is probably more profitable from a time standpoint. Between in expensive hammers and the established brands of high end you'd probably in the profit range of the anvil with a lot more work. (Can't help myself, I love the idea of turning something like that into profit)

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

There is an auction coming up next month that has a really nice hay budden that im going to try to get :D

You know, there is a fine line between "collecting" and "monopolizing".

I like "monopolizing"... its fun!

I am going to take a grinder with me to the yard next and start doing spark tests and get all the good ones.

So i was looking at big blu hammers and there 65 lb unit has a 500 lb anvil which equates to 7.69:1 anvil to hammer ratio. According to them this has been "scientifically" tested. Now i have all this steel and im trying to figure out what the best way to go about building up the anvil. If i was to go with just the big 469 lb block of steel that would put me at 7.81:1 ratio. It will loose a couple pounds from me grinding the ends flat but will gain some back with dies. My original plan was to cut the 2x6x72 inch plate to length and weld them on the sides to add a couple hundred pounds. Should i trust big blu when they say it has been tested or is it a sales pitch to get people to belive 7.69:1 ratio is enough?

And as the tup weight goes up the ratio goes down. The 165 lb hammer has a 1000 lb anvil which is a 6:1 ratio.

I think you're over thinking a tad. My hammer tears &#!+ up with probably a 5:1 ratio. 

• Thanks 1

Intervention hell, i want to be his bestie!

BTW, discarded tracked excavator hammer bits are awesome for anvils....I have one for a tup and a larger one for the anvil when i get started on my power hammer project.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 5:51 PM, Vern Wimmer said:

Do I see a hexagonal piece in there ?

There is 2 of them there. There is one leaning on the tire under the feaf spring pack. They are a couple more items im after.

Grabbed a few more pieces of steel. The big round bar is 3 inch X 38 inches and will be used for my 25 lb power hammer project. The large axle is going to be used for hammers. The hex bar has a 2 inch cross section and if it has enough carbon it will be used for hammers also. And the smaller bar is 1 1/2 inch by 1 inch and will be used for tongs. And i found a couple more pieces of wrought iron or shear steel not sure yet.

20180620_124443.jpg

I got started rebuilding this today. I got the anvil cut off the tup out and im almost ready to start welding the new anvil in.20180706_121218.jpg20180706_121337.jpg

Well just because i can im going to make this an 80 lb power hammer.

This forklift tine is the same width as the tup so that will be the 20 lbs i add to this.

20180706_121525.jpg

20180706_121506.jpg

Im probably going to have to stiffen the spring up a bit. It is a little too springy at 60 lbs i can only imagine what it would be like at 80 lbs.

:huh: ... So, I guess you'll use the roller skates for the guide to reduce friction, the Tonka truck as a flux tray, and the "Y" part of the scooter as the treadle... Veeeeerrrry clever. 

Edit: I see now that that is a pink tricycle; not rollerblades. Which means this hammer must be powered by free labor instead of electricity.... Eeeeven more clever...:ph34r:

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Haha 1

I liked the clever use of multi colored chalk for the layout drawings on the floor.. Less confusing when you color code each part.

• Haha 2

There is another trike scooter somewhere. So there is plenty of wheels and other useable parts. Man zeb my kids would kill me if they found out what i was thinking.

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2018 at 3:53 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

20180614_115729.jpg

Well i gave the square bar to a buddy of mine but i still have the round bar and im going back to get a couple more of these round bars tomorrow and im going to use them for legs for a couple anvil stands i need to make. Im also going to look for some heavy plate to make the tops of them.

Got the anvil set up today to get a look at what needs to happen. Good thing i have some strong brothers.20180709_212313.jpg

And a whip!!!:lol:

Looking good B) I like the wide base, and the even weight distribution. It'll take up more space, but will likely run smoother. 

• Thanks 1

In an effort to try to get a bunch of stuff done today i pulled out the UHMW for the guide for the tup. Hopefully i have enough.:lol:20180724_172647.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm