Jeremy Blohm

60lb power hammer build

I'd say you are covered.....:)

• Like 1

I had to use pipes and my brothers quad to move it into the garage. 20180727_103656.jpg

I got the anvil welded in place and i grabbed a couple 14 inch cut off wheels to cut a section of forklift tine to weld on to the tup to bring the weight up to 80 lbs. 20180727_133609.jpg

Next is grinding down the top of the anvil making dies and a new tup guide. I need to find some nylon bolts. I tried 2 local hardware stores. There owned by the same family but i was hoping one of there stores would have them but nope. I have one more lacal hardware store to try then its the big box stores. By the end of the weekend im hoping it will be back up and running. 

Its officially going to be an 80 lb power hammer +/-. All i have left to do is make the guide, dies and the treddle. Everything should be done and running tomorrow.

Here is a picture of the tup after welding another 20 #s and grinding the welds down.20180731_151835.jpg

It cooled down enough to weigh it. Total of 85 #'s20180731_200902.jpg

Getting a look at the fit up.20180731_202041.jpg

The wife collecting grinding dust for me.20180731_201326.jpg20180731_200938.jpg

Hopefully these forks have enough carbon to make some dies from. Tomorrow we shall find out.B)20180731_200914.jpg

So the anvil was broke off from something. I'm not sure of what but both ends were broken. The one side worked in my favor because i was able to weld deep almost full penetrated welds. The other side on the other hand caused some issues. I spent all day squaring the top up between building up with welds and grinding down it is almost done. I bought up all the 9 inch grinder wheels but more will be in tomorrow morning and i can finish up. I tested the forklift tines and they hardened o.k.  not as hard as a file but they will do for now. Im only going to use 2 bolts per die but they will be 3/4 inch bolts. I bought the drill bit and bolts today. The drill bit alone was $18 but i had to have it. Now i have to get a tap because i couldnt find mine. I wonder what that will cost.:unsure:

Oh yeah i forgot to mention dont do extensive welding in a cut off t-shirt. Welding burn hurts way worse than sun burn.:(

2 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

So the anvil was broke off from something. I'm not sure of what but both ends were broken. The one side worked in my favor because i was able to weld deep almost full penetrated welds. The other side on the other hand caused some issues. I spent all day squaring the top up between building up with welds and grinding down it is almost done. I bought up all the 9 inch grinder wheels but more will be in tomorrow morning and i can finish up. I tested the forklift tines and they hardened o.k.  not as hard as a file but they will do for now. Im only going to use 2 bolts per die but they will be 3/4 inch bolts. I bought the drill bit and bolts today. The drill bit alone was $18 but i had to have it. Now i have to get a tap because i couldnt find mine. I wonder what that will cost.:unsure:

That's why I employed a machinist to drill most of my holes :lol: For the tap, could you just weld a nut somewhere? I always try to avoid tapping if I can. I made heavy duty gusseted brackets with through holes drilled in the face for the bolt to go through and just welded the nut to the back. 

I have pretty much committed to this design.:( i have tapped hundreds of holes in stainless though. It sucks the whole time your doing it but it is worth it in the end. I like the way you have yours set up.  But with this big block im tapping them. 

Before and after Lots of welding and grinding20180727_133609.thumb.jpg.7eb3cb3e96f8debf4d7f08fc68c81125.jpg20180801_194201.jpg

So i was going to use nylon bolts to attach the UHMW for the guide but i cant find any. Looks like im going to tap the holes and use locktite. Im going to order some nylon bolts but i need this thing going by tomorrow. Luckily i have plenty of UHMW to work with.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Oh yeah i forgot to mention dont do extensive welding in a cut off t-shirt. Welding burn hurts way worse than sun burn.:(

I was welding up some dies last weekend, and probably had the arc struck for a total of less than 60 seconds.  One result was a pretty good "sun burn" inside my left bicep where my t-shirt sleeve ended.  One of my daughters comment on my new "Farmer's tan".  When I told her how it happened, she asked if she could stand in front of the arc in her bathing suit for a minute. :rolleyes:  Some peoples children...

I pointed out that if the sun is bad for you, and it would take an hour to get that effect, what do you think the arc is doing to you?

Edited by Brian Dougherty
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Made a bunch more Doise today but i need to get some more cut off wheels. I thought i had another pack of them but i guess i was wrong or misplaced them. I got one die made. Now that i have it in here it looks like i could use the other forklift tine. I thought they were going to be to big but i think they will work. But i already have this one cut so im cutting another one and they will be my first set. Oh yeah  i need more welding rod also. I better start making a list.20180802_144821.jpg

After making the other die i need to locate where the holes will be and start drilling and tapping 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

The wife forced me into the woods for a weekend camping trip so i lost 2 days there but tomorrow this has to be up and running so i can finish a blade i need to make. It was nice to get away from life for a couple days though. 20180804_113836.jpg

I did get to tinker in the shop for a few minutes this afternoon after unloading all the camping stuff and for the fun of it i droped a ball bearing on the anvil andd it was around 50-60%. And when i was grinding it has quite a spark pattern. The guy i got it from bought it at a government auction and has no clue where it came from aside from that.

Guide is done and dies are made. All that is left to do to make it run is drill and tap the holes for the dies and weld the dies once i can line everything up.

20180806_151444.jpg

20180806_151433.jpg

Hahaha it's done!!!! I will upload a video of it smashing some steel shortly!!!

20180809_132730.jpg

I have a bunch of 4x4's im going to make a base for it. All i need is some threaded rod. That should take care of the wobble. The based developed a warp from welding so it has a little rocking action going on.

Im going to hammer some more steel  and get a very important project going.

Coool!

It looks like it needs a little bracing beween that guide branch and the anvil connection. I suspect it would run smoother and hit harder with more rigidity. 

Simple gussets could add a ton of rigidity. 

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Thanks 1

This is what it did in one heat.20180809_195740.jpg

The base im building. I was going  use pressure treated 4x4 but my dad wants to save the structural lumber so im going to use landscape timbers for now until i can get some hard wood from the saw mill20180809_200450.jpg

I am going to add gussets and guards for the moving parts. I want to put sides on the I-beam and fill it with sand and oil to add weight also.

Another thing to mention is i was only running it about "half throttle" so to speak. It can run a lot faster!!!

I tried doing a rough calculation of how fast it was running in the video and came up with 14 blows in 5 seconds so roughly 168 BPM.