Sign in to follow this  
Chad Scott

Leaf Spring Bowie

Hello all! It has been awhile since i have posted anything, as I haven't really done anything worth posting recently to be honest. A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to just make something again. I have several 3/4 in thick leaf springs from my fathers old truck laying around, so i got the idea to see just how well i could estimate the material necessary to forge everything out. It turned out really well and i am very pleased with it. Unfortunately the smallest contacct wheel I have access to is 4 in. so i was not able to clean up the fuller. 

For the handle I decided to try out g10, as i have never used the material before. i really like how it turned out, but man.. does it stink.

Final dimensions are: 

16 in overall

11 in blade length

2 1/4 in wide 

18814775_10213257985827366_4408412575485089867_o.jpg

18768586_10213257987147399_5963354180513787325_o.jpg

18953184_10213257987947419_474420087584723297_o.jpg

18953391_10213307033733533_2908305817401480726_o (1).jpg

19055906_10213307032013490_6109352476971848330_o.jpg

Edited by Chad Scott
  • Like 2

Is that a hamon, I see? Wouldn't have expected one from a leaf spring.

It is a differential hardening line.  I wouldn't call it a hamon, though.  

Yeah, no hamon on this one. I just did an edge quench and a quick etch after polishing to bring out the differential hardening line.

6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

It is a differential hardening line.  I wouldn't call it a hamon, though.  

Always thought that's what a hamon was: that demarcation between tempered martensite and pearlite. What qualifies a hamon?

Now that is a big bad Bowie you got there! I

You could try a round bastard file to get into the fuller. It should make fast work of getting through the decarb. Then wrap it with sandpaper and keep going till you get the grit you want.  If you really want to clean it up! 

That one immediately conjures  up the old story about Little Red!!

The big bad wolf ~ says "Grandma I am going to eat you, and dress in your clothes, so when Little Red gets here with them goodies, she will think I am you"!

Grandma ~ starred at the big bad wolf as she reached under the mattress. She held up her Bowie and said "Big Bad Wolf "that fur is gonna be real warm this winter"!! 

Smiling, she says ~ "come on big boy take your best shot!

The big bad wolf ~ swallows hard and says, "Oh my look at the time, I must run"!

Sorry I guess I am just in one of those goofy moods tonight!! But I really do like the knife!!!

Edited by C Craft

9 hours ago, Dan Bourlotos said:

Always thought that's what a hamon was: that demarcation between tempered martensite and pearlite. What qualifies a hamon?

The difference between hamon and a hardening line is one of width and structure.  Hamon has a wide zone of mixed structures between fully hard and fully soft that gives that billowing feathery look that can be polished white, and has subtle gradations above and below the "line" like the things called nioi and utsuri as shown here: 

utsuri_omote.jpg

That is not mine, I borrowed it from the "I want to see your hamon" thread.  See all that's going on in there?  And in this one:

image.jpeg

Sorry for the hijack, Chad, and no disrespect intended!  I just went into teacher mode for a bit...:rolleyes:

Anyway, there you go.

• Like 3