• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JeffFogleboch

Laminated Shirogami (white steel) #1 Petty

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys I have just finished this one up. Its a japanese inspired petty knife hand forged by me.

Steel:Hitachi Shirogami (white steel) number 1 laminated with SUS 410 stainless with pure nickel in between them.
Blade:~4.375" long featuring a full distal taper
Handle:~4.25" Wa handle featuring old growth mahogany bolster paired with beautiful light colored ringed gidgee 

This blade is wicked sharp and has a rounded choil and spine. I also took time to chamfer the sharp edges on the front of the handle and round the back of the handle. The blade was hand finished to 800 grit and etched to show the frosty mountain-like scenery in the blade caused by the carbon diffusion between the stainless jacket and high carbon core steel. The handle was finished to 2500 grit, buffed, rubbed with teak oil, and finally finished with paste wax.

ASKING $300

Thanks for checking this out guys. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Now for some pictures.

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-26%20at%2011.15.

IMG_4645.jpg

1 person likes this

Gorgeous!  Could you tell me more about the Steel and Nickel combinations?  Is it quite stain/corrosion resistant?

1 person likes this

Hi Kevin, think of the blade like a 5 layer sandwich 

stainless/nickel/core steel/nickel/stainless 

the stainless is very corrosion resistant and the nickel doesn't rust because it is pure nickel. The core steel is carbon steel and therefore susceptible to rust. Thanks for checking it out! 

-Jeff Fogleboch 

Congrats. Nice piece.

SOLD 

Thanks A lot guys!

-Jeff Fogleboch

This bar was prelaminated when I got it.

-Jeff Fogleboch