Sign in to follow this  
Gabriel James

Peanut butter auto-hamon Nakiri time

So there i was, making a knife for an order --- supposedly a fully hardened blade....I visited Mark Greens shop and his burners heat up crazy fast, so I guess im blaming him for this baha! My timing was off and this little auto hamon happened. I decided to pull this knife aside and remake one for the client. Im still working on my photography skills. I just bought a Nikon D3400 in attempt at getting better quality pics for some online marketing. Any tips/critiques on the blade or the photo more than welcome as usual. I would have prefered the handle not to slope back down as it does, but its still more than comfortable-- maybe less so after it loses 1/2" of the heel from sharpening. Made to fit a small-med sized hand.

7" nakiri

2" tall

Black n white ebony

AURORA 008.JPG

AURORA 013.JPGAURORA 014.JPGAURORA 020.JPGAURORA 011.JPG

• Like 3

Kiritsuke 043.JPG

also didnt want to bump and older post but i finished a saya for it and shipped it out today. Poplar, apple wood retaining pin

• Like 3

Wow, that is pretty wild looking for an auto-hamon!

• Like 1

That auto hamon is cool! I think the overall look would benefit from a more square handle to match the square shape of the blade, maybe a Japanese-style octagonal or teardrop-shape handle. Also, I got to see a demonstration of Jim Cooper's setup at Blade, and one thing that really enhances a knife photo is if the tip is not touching the surface it is on. In fact, it is better to have the blade raised off of the surface completely. He does this by buying putty that you can find at any hardware store, and putting it under the blade and handle so that it raises the knife up and is hidden under the knife.

Here is a jig that he made for taking photos of handles. the blade fits in the softwood piece with holes, and the PVC pipe is filled with sand/lead to provide a counterbalance.

Z555HP1.jpg?1

This is his wallpaper collection that he got from years of dumpster diving and making friends with people who work in stores that sell wallpaper. Also he has a cheap plastic mirror that can be tilted by using that little green clamp.

bZaR91L.jpg?1

This is his PVC diffuser setup. Notice how he has a V for his head when taking high angle shots, and his computer is even part of the structure! :lol:

7lf5ZJ0.jpg?1

• Like 2

uploaded a small video on youtubes

• Like 3

Thanks for the compliments Guys! I tried to get my son to not talk for 3 minutes but it didnt work out LOL Oh wells!

What Austin said, that video seals the deal.  Love the auto hamon and especially the black and white ebony for the handle.  I am making a knife with that wood as we speak.

• Like 1

Thanks a ton Wes, I was minding my own business at wood craft, and Lo' and behold! out of the heavens a large block of W&B ebony fell upon the rack that was only 11 doll hairs. I got 5-6 sets of scales out of said block :o  got 4 sets of desert ironwood also for like 15!

The Woodcraft near my house will occasionally have good deals like that, but they almost never have Desert Ironwood.  Much to my unhappiness.

Looks nice!