Damascus variation

Has anyone here ever tried making a damascus billet from a combination of D2 and A36 steel

If so what has your success been along with any unique observations

Thanks for the responses in advance

Jeff

Just a potential experiment....I have some scrap and drop pieces of both materials left over from some recent welding projects

So...my curiosity started running rampant wondering if they could be forged together to form a damascus steel

Not saying you can't do it, but the chromium and other stuff in the D2 will make it much less than easy, especially since nobody knows what's in A36.

thanks Alan...every once in a while I come up with some off the wall ideas for trying new things that drive people insane

There is something to be said for peeling back the skull and letting the sun shine on your brain, to use an old deadhead quote. :lol: By all means see what happens, you may surprise us all.

• Like 1

If you ask me, this is how it all began.

There was smith who needed to make something and he didn't have enough of one type of steel to make it, but he had a bunch of small pieces and he knew how to forge weld two pieces together. So, he tried it and when he got done he cleaned it off and said "Wow! That looks cool!"

If your going to do it.
Clean it all.
Sandwich it and mig weld all the seems closed all the way around it except for a small weep hole in one corner.
This will keep the oxides out and give you a better chance of bonding.
Heat to yellow and press or hammer it.

• 2 months later...

If you don't have a weep hole, then there is nowhere for any off gassing to get out of the can, which could cause the burst.  Bursting is bad.  Many people use some kind of lubricant (WD40 is common) or a piece of paper to burn off the residual O2 in the can.

Geoff

Wish me luck this experiment is gonna happen this weekend...Not sure how it will turn out...LOL.....for all I know this may turn out to be a drinking kinda problem before I'm done