Sign in to follow this  
Kris Lipinski

Dolabra - Roman pickaxe

Hi Kris. That is very unusual. I do love the shape. Is this based on an archeological find?

Really nice work, Kris!! I like how you sketched out as too how you wanted it at each stage! Two thumbs up!

33 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

Hi Kris. That is very unusual. I do love the shape. Is this based on an archeological find?

Charles, take a look at these Google searchs!

http://www.roman-artifacts.com/Military Accessories/Pick-axe sheath/Pick-axe_sheath.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=roman+pickaxe&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjt9ZrbloLVAhVFcT4KHUN7DT8QsAQIJw&biw=1280&bih=918

I forged it accoding to this find. Don't know where from. To me it is a "google images find" ;-) (thanks to the Author  who put the dimentions on it). My is slightly bigger and more massive. It was also one of my first jobs on my new assembled old power hammer. The material (lorry axle) is 48,5mm thick (2")

Dolabra dimentions.jpg

Very nice indeed Kris and congrats on the power hammer.  @C Craft thank you for the links. I have bookmarked the first one for future reference.

Really nice work, Kris!  I do like non-knife tools, and historical things, and accurate forging.  You got all three!B)

Hi Kris and congrats ! 

You got a very nice result with the roman pickaxe, dolabra. I discovered this site after searching on google some information about dolabra

I am the one who discovered this dolabra and I edited it in size in millimeters.
I am passionate about history and can define myself as an archaeological enthusiast.
If you are interested in other artifacts after which you will want to make replicas, I have some edited to dimensions such as spearheads, battle axes, daggers, tools, jewelry.
Good luck in all your projects ! :)

DSCN2385.JPG

DSCN2521 editata.JPG

DSCN2524 editata.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You really did a great job recreating that.

This is nice,

On 10/28/2019 at 5:07 PM, Pop Iuliu-Cristinel said:

Hi Kris and congrats ! 

You got a very nice result with the roman pickaxe, dolabra. I discovered this site after searching on google some information about dolabra

I am the one who discovered this dolabra and I edited it in size in millimeters.
I am passionate about history and can define myself as an archaeological enthusiast.
If you are interested in other artifacts after which you will want to make replicas, I have some edited to dimensions such as spearheads, battle axes, daggers, tools, jewelry.
Good luck in all your projects ! :)

amazing work to both, the finding and documentation plus a replica

Pop Iuliu-Cristinel

On 10/28/2019 at 5:07 PM, Pop Iuliu-Cristinel said:

Thank You for sharing Your finds :)  I would be really glad to see what other objects You've got described in dimentions.

Btw, I often think to visit Romania, never been so far, but my Wife has, also my brother and a friend. I know it is worth to see.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, Kris Lipinski said:

Pop Iuliu-Cristinel

Thank You for sharing Your finds :)  I would be really glad to see what other objects You've got described in dimentions.

Btw, I often think to visit Romania, never been so far, but my Wife has, also my brother and a friend. I know it is worth to see.

If you want, I can post some of these artifacts that might interest you to make replicas. Just tell me if I can make these posts here on this topic or elsewhere...
In Romania you will surely find many places that will delight you. :)

Edited by Pop Iuliu-Cristinel

I can't speak for Kris, but please do post artifacts!  We have a History subforum that would be a good place.

• Like 1

I agree, I would very much so like to see any artifacts you have come upon!