Sign in to follow this  
Brian Dougherty

An interesting contrast in color

I have twin daughters heading off to college this fall.  Both of them have expressed to me, over the last few years, that they don't want to be one of those people who needs to call someone when they need to change a light switch, so I have obliged them by helping them learn how to do whatever jobs come along.

This is one of them doing a basic brake job on her car.  I particularly like how the purple finger nails contrast with the brake dust...

IMG_20170715_115519402.jpg

IMG_20170715_114941179.jpg

Looks familiar! My ladyfriend (soon to be wife) has always jumped to the opportunity to learn what she can. She does he own oil changes and takes care of the tire work on her car and she has also helped me replace the entire coolant system in a car as well as an ignition system. At the end of the day, she's just as dirty as I am ;)

1 hour ago, Timothy Artymko said:

Looks familiar! My ladyfriend (soon to be wife) has always jumped to the opportunity to learn what she can. She does he own oil changes and takes care of the tire work on her car and she has also helped me replace the entire coolant system in a car as well as an ignition system. At the end of the day, she's just as dirty as I am ;)

My daughter told me not to take pics since she was "Dirty" and "Gross".  I told her not to worry since most of the guys I know would think it's pretty attractive ;)

• Like 1

My oldest daughter spent lots of time with her Grandpa woodworking and working on motorcycles when she was quite young. She "graduated" to working on our family vehicles with me, then her own cars and pickups thoughout her life so far. She was the best welder in her high school class.

My younger daughter spent half her time in the shop with me and half in the kitchen with mom. Her senior project in high school was to do a complete restoration of the family 1959 Austin Healy Sprite. The ONLY thing she didnt do herself was the paint. On the way to the airport going home to Alaska today she commented on how it was so nice being able to diagnose her husbands automotive and motorcycle problems, then fix them herself.

I always vowed my children would not be helpless or stranded. Both have used their knowledge often for themselves, their friends and strangers. 

• Like 1

@Mike Johnston Thumbs up Mike.  IMHO, to many people today are dependent on others for things that should be taken care of by the individual.  I look back at how self-sufficient my grandparents were, and feel like a lazy bum in comparison.  Then I look at how most people live their lives today and shake my head.  

I can definitely see my girls ending up being the "Handyman" in the family...

I can second that too many people don't know enough about simple things in life. They can't take care of themselves let alone anyone else! I mean, I sheared a pin in my selector in the transmission of my car (stick shift), and it cost me nothing to get a new pin and replace it, just 3 hours of my time to access the place and replace the pin. I don't have hundreds of dollars kicking around, and sadly, so many other people don't either and at at the mercy of those who do know what to do. 

Bring shop classes back to public school.

• Like 1

My wife says things like changing brake pads are my job. She can do it, just division of labor and all that.

My daughter, however, steals any and all tools I leave within reach. We'll be making gate scrolls for show and tell in a few years at this rate.

On 7/23/2017 at 9:46 PM, Joshua States said:

Bring shop classes back to public school.

We got em' where I'm from. I took Woodworking in middle school, in high school I took small engine repair, 2 years of auto body repair, and one year of welding. 

I took all the electives I could. Glad I did too. Because of all those classes I am certified in refinishing, collision repair, several OSHA, and workplace readyness certs, and I couldn't get certified in welding unless I took it for 2 years, but my resume is still pretty boss because of all the different types of welding I learned.

Brian, I totally agree with you. Nothing's more attractive than an independent woman. 

It's pretty cool how the school managed this. Big companies like Tread, Altech, Freightcar, and a few others in the area donated money and machines to the school. In return, Those companies got fresh, young, trained employees to work for them. 

Edited by Zeb Camper