Case hardening inside split weld, instead of "steeling"?

Merrick

Case hardening inside a split weld, prior to welding split closed..

Just curious if this is something someone has tried as an alternative to steeling a bit into mild steel (or wrought).  If I don't get a response, I'll give a report on my hopeful success!

How about some more details?

If you're talking about an axe blade, bear in mind that case hardening only goes a couple 1/1000's deep, so you would probably grind or file the case away the fist time you sharpened it.

Beside that, I'd lot rather do a "steeling" weld than attempt old-school case hardening. I've used Casenite on flintlock frizzens, but it wouldn't be worth much for a working tool or weapon.

I was thinking along the same lines as Don, welding would be quicker and easier.  Case hardening has its place(s), but I am thinking this is not likely to be one of them.  

3 hours ago, Don Abbott said:

How about some more details?

If you're talking about an axe blade, bear in mind that case hardening only goes a couple 1/1000's deep, so you would probably grind or file the case away the fist time you sharpened it.

Beside that, I'd lot rather do a "steeling" weld than attempt old-school case hardening. I've used Casenite on flintlock frizzens, but it wouldn't be worth much for a working tool or weapon.

I I'll do a diagram when I get a chance, but idea is this: two mild steel bars, each treated with kasenit one one side.  These two bars are tack welded or edge welded with case hardened sides touching each other (now the center).  These tack welded bars are then forge welded together to form an axe head (or knife) with hardened center, and ground on both sides so hardened edge is barely exposed.