I finished this one a while back...brought it to work to hit it with some 220. I had the blade etched in ferric but was disappointing at how easily it marked up when chopping.

I tried my hand a rust bluing in blade 3 but I must have done something wrong....seems like I could just wipe it right off after the boil.

Blade is 5160 normalized and thermal cycled to my best ability . It got triple quenched only because I wasnt happy the first two tries.

Any criticism or suggestions are welcome . The handle is a little boring but feels decent in my hand.

12" overall....blade is 7" from tip to plunge.

blade2.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great, Kreg! Think your plunge is pretty good, a little curved though, and the shape overall is a real classic. Handle is actually pretty good, maybe a little thinner and rounder but no one would know the difference. I'd clean/sand the grinder marks out near the edge. I would also bring the grind/bevel all the way up to the top but thats more of an aesthetic look. Overall, the blade really is a very nice balanced looking knife that looks like it would thrive in the woods. Nicely done. 

Now the real question is what do you like, don't like about it? Small or big. You like the handle it seems, at least the feel. 

Edited by Austin_Lyles

I second that, very nice, the belly towards the tip will lend the knife nicely to batoning and chopping. Looks like a good camp knife.

Thanks guys.......I took it to work yesterday and did quite a bit on hand sanding with some 220. It does still have some grind marks but its better than it was.

I have knife 3 with me at work today. lol

I am pretty happy with it....could use a better final edge. The micarda was a bit of a disappointment. It was a black shirt and a gray pair of pants randomly cut up.

Was going for somewhat of a cammo look. Was surprised at the lack of contrast.

39 minutes ago, Kreg said:

Was surprised at the lack of contrast.

Might get more contrast if you cut through the layers to expose the alternate colors.  Looks like your cut cloth pieces are a little large for flat slab sides.

Otherwise nice on for a second knife to be sure.  Keep on plugging.

1 hour ago, Dan Hertzson said:

Might get more contrast if you cut through the layers to expose the alternate colors.  Looks like your cut cloth pieces are a little large for flat slab sides.

Otherwise nice on for a second knife to be sure.  Keep on plugging.

On this one I was trying for a different look. I didnt layer em at all. I watched a vid where Walter Sorrell(sp) made some camo micarda.
Was kinda the look I was going for with gray and black. Was surprised how much the resin darkened the gray.

Live and learn I guess.