1st Cable Knife

This is my first attempt at forging cable. The cable started at 1 1/4", blade is 5 1/2", overall length is 9 3/4", the spine is 1/8" tapering both to the point and through the tang. The handle is elk antler secured with pins that are a combination of copper and brass. Sheath is my usual 8 oz. veg. tanned cow hide.

Like everything about it, I've been thinking of making a similar piece for an Uncle of mine who shares your interests and I think you've convinced me.

It looks like what I call a classy user- the EDC of EDC's, always gets used, dirtied, cleaned sharpened a lot from use, just fits and you become attached to it (a common man's "Mjolnir"). Clean lines, nice flow from spine to handle, good balance- well done Sir.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I think I lucked out on getting a 12" x 1 1/4" piece of cable all welded up in my coal forge with nothing but hand hammering. Sure made me want a power hammer. I could have started smaller but thought I'd have voids to cut out. Instead I have enough to make 4 blades(3 more). Thanks for looking!

Hello:

I dunno all that much about this stuff..but it looks GREAT to me.. This is what I would call an "honest" knife...Nothing fancy..nothing pretentious ..just a really NICE knife..

JPH

• Like 1

That blade typifies why cable is the one type forging I want to try instead of my usual stock removal. It seems a more "normal" type of steel than some of the fanciful type damascus that I personally find a bit overt for my tastes.

Very nice indeed. Thanks for the post and the impetus to get some cable and try it.

• Like 1

Simple and classy, and well put-together. Nice work! Once I have a workshop again I really want to give cable damascus a try.

• Like 1