Norowareta Tanto or "The knife that tried to kill me via stress" for short

This knife was a total pain in the ass to make.  Everyone has a knife that fights being made, but this was something else.  If I could have done something once, I actually did it at least three times.  I had originally wanted to call this knife "The Black and White Tanto" because of the wood.  Nope, not anymore.  I started feeling like it was cursed.  And that is what Norowareta Tanto means... "The Cursed Short Blade".  I think this knife is malevolent and hates me.  I give it the stank eye from time to time.  

The steel is Aldo's W2 with a hamon, which of course didn't want to be photogenic.  Oh well.  The main wood of the tsuka and saya is stabilized Black and White Ebony, with African Blackwood accents.  The mekugi is also African Blackwood.  The tsuka and saya were made from one continuous piece of wood, which you can see by how the grain of the wood flows.  The tsuba is wrought iron that I got from Orien here on the forum.  The habaki and seppa are orange peeled copper that I am letting patina naturally.  

Hope you like it.  I think it hates us all.

Blade Length (from mune-machi) : 7.25 inches

Total Blade Length: 11.25 inches (I think, can't remember the exact length of the nakago)

Total Length Sheathed: 13 inches

7.jpg

8.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Wes Detrick
  • Like 6

This is just such a beautiful piece of work @Wes Detrick. And while i know it fought you hard, it is absolutely stunning. I love how the African black wood complements the two tone Ebony but doesn't not break up that grain flow from end to end. Skills. Clean lines, great craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing. 

Wes, beautiful work as always, that black and white wood is just amazing. Maybe it just wants to be remembered, I can't recall every acquaintance I have ever met but every fight I remember with clarity. Thanks for sharing.

That knife may have fought you the whole way Wes, but I think you kicked its butt. I have yet to try anything in this style. This one inspires me to try. That came out beautiful.

I'm in a similar frame of mind to Joshua.  Even though the fiddly nature of how all the parts go together is the sort of thing that usually lights my fire, the tanto form has never really spoken to me until I saw this one.

Perhaps you had to wrestle all the demons keeping me (and others) away from tantos into this blade for us to see the light :)

Wes, that's beautiful.  I think everything looks straight and clean and right on it.  The choice of saya wood was inspired, that black and white ebony is just so satisfying to look at.

That one's like one of those Marvel comic villainesses...

kinda mean but too pretty not to look at.

26 minutes ago, Don Abbott said:

That one's like one of those Marvel comic villainesses...

kinda mean but too pretty not to look at.

Couldn't have said it better myself, so I'll just quote Don.  That is a FINE pafkage  Edit: package.  For some reason my phone won't let me fix that...

Wes, I am convinced you came out the winner!!! Very nice work!

Thank you everyone for the compliments and the encouragement.  It made my day.  Maybe it is as Florian suggested; that it needed to be a pain to be what it is.  In the end, I am fine with that, and I think I get just a taste more satisfaction knowing that it ended well despite the challenge.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Thank you Robert and James!  I am glad you like it!  

Here is a short video I made of the disassembly and reassembly of the knife.  You get a better look at the hamon as well in the video.

The little tool that I made for it is made from the same wrought that the guard is made from.  The idea for the tool is not mine, but one I saw David Friesen use.  He gets the credit (unless he got it from someone else of course)

• Like 1

Beautiful @Wes Detrick. Nice short video. Such a gorgeous piece of artwork. Will there be a repeat or was this a one off for yourself?

P.S. I was the first Sub, so when you get all famous and shit, don't forget who was there at the start :P 

23 hours ago, Chris C-S said:

Beautiful @Wes Detrick. Nice short video. Such a gorgeous piece of artwork. Will there be a repeat or was this a one off for yourself?

P.S. I was the first Sub, so when you get all famous and shit, don't forget who was there at the start :P 

A repeat as in making a heavily Japanese influenced knife?  Definite repeat.  It was a challenge and despite the knife being a pain in the ass, it was an educational one.  I love the construction method, and how deceptively easy looking they are.  I don't know when though I will make another.  I am trying to work through my commission list, and there are no other Japanese blades on it.  Maybe after that?

• Like 1