• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joshua States

Hiking in the Flagstaff AZ area

8 posts in this topic

Sometimes you have a once in a lifetime experience. While hiking and scouting for the upcoming elk hunt, my buddy Mark and I startled a female mule deer. She took off and we kept walking. After about 50 yards I stopped and said "Hey Mark look at this!" 

Baby Fawn (1)-opt (1).jpg

Baby Fawn (2)-opt.jpg

how cute, a special moment there

Nice :)

I had a whitetail doe give birth in my back yard a few years ago.  I found the fawn laying in some hostas, and thought it had been still born.  When I touched it it bleated, stood up and staggered about 8 feet and lied down again.  Not knowing anything about deer, I then assumed it had been abandoned.  I figured I needed to call the DNR, but in the meantime I might as well carry it in the house and show the kids.  It bleated again, and by the time I had walked 50 feet, a doe appeared out of nowhere.

Needless to say, I sat the fawn down between me and mom, and backed my way into the house.  She never took her eyes off of me.

The pair spent the rest of the summer eating my green beans...

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Just for future reference, if anyone out there is lucky enough to encounter a deer fawn, you should not touch them. Fawns are born without developed scent glands as a protection from predators. Touching or handling a fawn can leave your scent on them, which is undesirable (for the fawn anyway). The mother is never too far off and will return after the threat is gone. Like quail, she might try and lure you away from the fawn.

It's best to just enjoy the magic, take a few photos, and move on.

http://www.wildcatwildlifecenter.org/injuryfawns.html

http://www.nativeanimalrescue.org/understanding-deer/

We have 3 babies on our place right now; a single and a pair of twins.

Our dog barked at one of the fawns and I thought the mama deer was going to stomp his eyes out. She chased him all the way up the driveway. He has since decided that the deer are okay where there at.

On 8/1/2017 at 9:36 AM, Don Abbott said:

We have 3 babies on our place right now; a single and a pair of twins.

Our dog barked at one of the fawns and I thought the mama deer was going to stomp his eyes out. She chased him all the way up the driveway. He has since decided that the deer are okay where there at.

Nice Don! Smart dog too. In the Autumn, you can buy a bag of those little apples that nobody likes and throw them out on the lawn. Those deer will come back.

Got a couple shots of my pets:

Mama

Mama.jpg

BabyBaby.jpg

Monday morning we counted 8 deer and 10 turkey all at the same time:

deer and turkey.jpg

I sold my cattle last fall and I've let my field get a little shaggy, but they seem to like it.

Raising deer, turkey, and squirrels is a lot less work than cows.

1 person likes this

Dude! That's paradise right there.