Sign in to follow this  
JamesK

Drawing out - keeping width

I've mentioned before in my other posts that the steel I use is sort of thick, like maybe 1/4", so not too much but for my case too thick to make a tang out of. I don't want to make a hidden tang as I prefer scales so I have to forge/grind out the shape in the metal. How would I draw out the steel for the tang in a way that I flatten it but don't change the width much? I would experiment but I'm low on steel and would like to ask before I potentially waste what I have left, so my guess is to hit one side, then turn 180 degrees to hit, then 90 degrees to flatten, is this a good strategy?

Yep.  Think of forging as manipulating volume.  Try it with play-doh or plasticine, it moves much like hot steel, albeit much faster.  All you are doing is squashing, stretching, and shaping a mass from one form into another.  Doing this with plasticine using your actual forging tools (gently!) Will show you what the effects will be on steel.

• Like 1

the angle of a blow also makes a huge difference in the direction of movement of volume, you can also use things like a straight or cross peen or a fuller to control much of the movement of the material and keep it in one direction. 

MP 

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Yep.  Think of forging as manipulating volume.  Try it with play-doh or plasticine, it moves much like hot steel, albeit much faster.  All you are doing is squashing, stretching, and shaping a mass from one form into another.  Doing this with plasticine using your actual forging tools (gently!) Will show you what the effects will be on steel.

Great thanks! So I'm guessing that "yep" means that by doing hit, 180, hit, 90, hit would work? 

Yep

2 hours ago, Matthew Parkinson said:

the angle of a blow also makes a huge difference in the direction of movement of volume, you can also use things like a straight or cross peen or a fuller to control much of the movement of the material and keep it in one direction. 

MP 

Like Matthew said, anythin you can use to forge a shallow groove across the piece will be helpful to draw it out without needing to correct the width as much (since the expansion will be mostly in one direction). When I draw out steel I use the horn of the anvil, the cross-pein of my hammer, and recently the far edge of the anvil with half-on-half-off hits to speed up the process. The edge of the anvil, for example, is very aggressive, and makes breaking down stock to make small/thin blades about 4x faster for me. 

• Like 1

What Aiden said, however it is also therefore easier to overdo the thinning in these areas. I generally stop a little shy with this method and then return to the face of the anvil and smooth it out to see where I am before using the cross peen and anvil face. As it gets closer still I will then return to the face of the hammer also.

18 hours ago, Aiden CC said:

Like Matthew said, anythin you can use to forge a shallow groove across the piece will be helpful to draw it out without needing to correct the width as much (since the expansion will be mostly in one direction). When I draw out steel I use the horn of the anvil, the cross-pein of my hammer, and recently the far edge of the anvil with half-on-half-off hits to speed up the process. The edge of the anvil, for example, is very aggressive, and makes breaking down stock to make small/thin blades about 4x faster for me. 

Ok thanks! And I'm still learning all the vocabulary is the cross-pein the backside that's thinner

Yes it is.  You'll probably need to dress the radius a bit, it's too narrow and sharp on many new hammers.  If you look at my pinned thread called "forging a hawk my way" in the Hot Work forum I spent some time talking about this with pictures to show what I meant.