handle material assistance

Ive been asked to make an epic kitchen knife, and the customer has asked for it to be a bit over the top, so im doing damascus blade of 1095,1084, and 15n20, then a bolster of mokume game. As its a kitchen knife, i dont want to use a porous or easily mar-able materials like wood. Havent worked with many other materials though, so i need suggestions for a nice hanfle material that will fit with an overall expensive knife. Thanks guys!

you could try using a combination of synthetic stone and stabilized wood for a nice contrast

Micarta can be made to almost any design with a little planning. And the variety of materials you can use are awesome. From plain cotton, colored paper, linen and even jute twine! Basically any material that is porous enough to accept the epoxy. The handle below was made of around 40-ish layers of construction paper, but like a lot of micarta materials, gives a wood-like grain when sanded and shaped. Its durable, water resistant and very tough.

Camp.jpg

There are lots of synthetic materials out there in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Most knife making suppliers sell them. If you want to use natural materials that are more suited toward expensive knives, I would suggest camel bone, sheep horn, mammoth tooth or ivory. Picking the right material so as not to clash with the mokume will be important.  With a Damascus blade and mokume bolsters that's a lot of pattern to compete with. 

I was leaning towards mammoth something, but ive never worked with anything like it and its kinda expensive... Also starting to lean away from the mokume game, like Joshua said, thats a lot of pattern to deal with, might possibly use the excess damascus for those bits?