• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Chris C-S

Father son pair.

40 posts in this topic

Got any ringed gidgee?  I think that's a northern wood, though...

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Charles du Preez said:

Are you making these names up Chris? ;)

Remember, this is the land of the kangaroo, dingo, and venomous duck ;)

Chris, isn't amboyna from down there as well?

34 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Remember, this is the land of the kangaroo, dingo, and venomous duck ;)

Chris, isn't amboyna from down there as well?

Yes, there's plenty more too. In WA we have another desert ironwood called WA Snakewood, not the same as the snakewood from US.

And @Charles du Preez not making it up but made a typo, it's curly Jarrah not Karra

Google this guy. The Timber Bloke. This is my sawyer. He is a brilliant dude. 

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Got any ringed gidgee?  I think that's a northern wood, though...

No I don't Allan, but it is local to Western Australia which means it's on the list. :D

There are some really nice pieces in those planks Chris.

I worked in the bush in Qld for a couple of years cutting sleepers (for something different to do) and as I was doing the falling and snigging of the logs into the camp I would be cutting off the crowns and parts surplus to our needs and seeing so many really nice crotches and different parts of trees that I knew would yield lovely small cuts but they were all left as waste on the forest floor. Then the cut sleepers often showed some very nice grains but would never be seen above the gravel bed of the rail line

I regularly use jarah from old fence posts and have some bluegum crotch slabs (from firewood gathering) stashed away drying for later use. This is a pair that is for a 15 3/4 in knife that I will do for myself as I get time away from the orders that (happily) keep coming in.

I was given a box of Au blackwood the other week with 12 15inch lengths of 4 x 1 so there is a lot of handles in that which is going to be kept for a new project that is in discussion at the moment. The owner of one of the hunting forums I am on has contacted me to make a limited edition of  his special design small belt and or pocket sheath knife for our forum members with the forum logo on the handle and sheath.

DSCN1110.JPG

DSCN1111.JPG

Edited by Garry Keown
add comment
1 person likes this

Nice Garry. I have some tassy blackwood at home. Haven't thought about it as handles though. Too soft?

I just put some on a prototype blade for the limited edition knife and it is certainly hard enough to work and sand so will do nicely for a plain wood handle that is requested for this series of knives.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

I just put some on a prototype blade for the limited edition knife and it is certainly hard enough to work and sand so will do nicely for a plain wood handle that is requested for this series of knives.

Cool, ill be interested in seeing how that turns out. It's a lovely wood, particularly with the sapwood contrast. I'm carving a spoon from se currently.

IMAG0105.jpg

What is the spoon for Chris?? I made one many years ago for stiring the jam when it was being made. Made it from oregon and over the years the soft wood has slightly eroded and so now it has an interesting patern of seemigly raised hard grain as if it has been lightly sandbasted.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

What is the spoon for Chris?? I made one many years ago for stiring the jam when it was being made. Made it from oregon and over the years the soft wood has slightly eroded and so now it has an interesting patern of seemigly raised hard grain as if it has been lightly sandbasted.

Just because really, I'm self teaching a load of self reliance kind of stuff and spoon carving, cup making while sitting round the fire while camping / with my scout mob (new activity for me) sounds like something to do. 

If you have a scout troup, you could get them to make a walking staff to their individual eye heght and teach them to draw out and then wittle a design on the top 12 inches.

Nice idea, here is the progress after today. Got about 3 hrs in the shop. 

I think the 'bolster'for want of better description is a little large on mine. It's all sanded through to 400g so far. Thoughts? Input? IMAG0140.jpgIMAG0139.jpg

Don't wear flip-flops around knifemaking?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Don't wear flip-flops around knifemaking?

Charles, mate, this is Straya (Australia). You see flip flop, I see safety boots. :P

In all seriousness though, I do wear actual boots when using power tools, forge. 

Hi all, this project is complete, please see at show and tell page. Thanks for all the help and guidance along the way.