Trenton Anvil

Richard Cox

I just inherited an anvil from my grandfather.  On the side it says "Trenton-- Solid Wroght --USA.  On the base is a W113 and A17717.  I would appreciate any information as to the age of the anvil.  Thanks in advance for your timely response.

Why don't you take this to the Tools and Tool Making section and either Alan Longmire  or Geoff Keyes, can tell you more about the anvil!! 

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

Some pictures would help.  Trenton is good brand, but condition is important.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

I moved this to the proper place, so: the serial number seems odd, because Trentons (made by the Columbus Forge and Iron Works) didn't use the "A" prefix, while Hay-Budden did.  However, it clearly says Trenton, so dropping the A gives you a date of 1900 plus or minus a year according to Anvils in America.

This is pretty early in the company history, so it will have a cast mild steel base,a wrought iron top half, and a tool steel face.  It should also be stamped "Buel Patent" between the feet on the same side it's stamped Trenton.

• 1 year later...

I was just given this anvil yesterday without knowing anything about it. Guess I got a great deal. It is in great condition. I talking to a co-worker yesterday and he said he a anvil just laying in the back of is shop and didn’t use/need it. He asked if I wanted it and me being in need of a newer anvil that had corners and flat top jump on it. He had painted it I guess. Any ideas of an age?

1A887C83-DA1D-4EAA-95CB-93A4A743B938.jpeg

C0D864E5-C3BC-4FE8-AF7B-201A938FAAEA.jpeg

F23AE39B-FF02-4C2C-A14A-946BF80C14BB.jpeg

2E11BED8-A812-44EF-A098-AA7FE1947172.jpeg

A73136A4-26EC-499C-AB63-570ECD8A6D1A.jpeg

4B1F1E77-0D37-45AF-BB06-9B5186D3B30F.jpeg

• 2 years later...

My grandfather has an anvil and he was wanting to know more about it. Is there anything anyone could tell me about it? It's a Trenton. It has the numbers 180 and 204532 stamped into it. Thanks for any help.

20210509_164317.jpg

20210509_164328.jpg

20210509_164344.jpg

20210509_164356.jpg

20210509_164414.jpg

20210509_164446.jpg

Edited by Jeb Black

Nope.  He got screwed.  I hate to see the elder generation get taken advantage of.  I'd be happy to buy it off of him for the $300 he paid so he can get his money back. :D:ph34r:

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's not as good as the one for free, but in my not so humble opinion, you're grandfather made out like a bandit.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!