Maegnas..... not a steel blade but a model for one to come

Magna is my name, I am the spiders bane.  This is my take on sting.  Based entirely on the carton version of the hobbit that I watched as a kid.  It is the blade that inspired me to want to make knives in the first place.  I hope I will not bore anyone as this is a wooden model of a blade that I will make in steel.  Preferably Damascus once I have gotten a little better at forgewelding.  It is a 14" blade and 21" overall. Made of red oak and poplar. Cord and leather wrapped handle.  Consider this a proof of concept piece that let me try a few new techniques without wasting a bunch of material like the cord wrapped leather handle and grinding a fuller.  It also let me test the limits of my lasers cutting ability as that is what I used to blade the wood pieces.  I have shown the creative process in order from the digital drawing I did of it 4 years ago. I hope you enjoy.  Moderators if this is the wrong place to put this please move it to the correct section of the forum.

20170801_151303.jpg

20170801_151315.jpg

20170721_223139.jpg

20170722_111453.jpg

20170722_131306.jpg

20170722_165052.jpg

20170722_202418.jpg

20170801_144016.jpg

20170801_150555.jpg

20170801_151205.jpg

20170801_150836.jpg

• Like 2

That is an awesome piece of work.

And that young 'un looks like a natural.

I'll bet he's not allowed to take that one out in the yard by himself!

Nice job!  I remember that one well.  I had the two-record read-along set of the Rankin-Bass Hobbit cartoon.  It's still out there on Vimeo or Youtube or one of those, I watched it a couple of years ago for fun.

That is pretty slick.  Some of my projects take me many months to finish.  It might be well worth the investment of time to make a complete wood model beforehand...

Jake.

I actually used 1/4 ich thick red oak.  I cut 3 pieces out on my laser with precision 1/8 inch dowel holes in the thicker section.  Then I doweled and glued it together with titebond 2 wood glue and sanded the dowel ends off.  I won't be able to use the laser when I make the metal version but it really sped up the prototype process.  This could be possible with a drilI press and files but i would make the hole first. Then drill dowel holes.  Then glue together and shape with a belt or disk sander.  Or do a solid 1 piece with no glue the same way.

Edited by Robert Carter