• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Viktor Johansson

Inlaying stones into soft metal using a dremel

4 posts in this topic

Hello fellows,

Here is how I inlayed some synthetic corundum stones (ruby/sapphire) into a piece of copper for a knife handle. I don't know if you can call it tutorial but here is how I did it:

A slot was milled, tricky to make it fit right. Also the damn mill bit liked to fly around and make a mess of things. 

Milled slot 1.jpg

Then the outside of the slot was milled. But I quickly changed to files because it went faster and easier.

Milled slot 2.jpg

I found files worked much better to shape the outside, to create a collar around the stone.

Milled slot 3.jpg

Stone is ready to be set.

I set them by hammering the collar around the rim of the stone using a hammer and a rounded punch-tool.

Milled slot 4.jpg

Milled slot 5.jpg

Stones are now set and ready to be used for a knife handle in this case. 

Edited by Viktor Johansson

if you use a pitch bowl, it will hold your copper work piece solidly and make life much easier

nice work!

It would be easier to make a bezel and solder it to a piece of sheet,something with a little practice would only take 15 minutes or so.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:23 AM, Greg Thomas Obach said:

if you use a pitch bowl, it will hold your copper work piece solidly and make life much easier

nice work!

You can also super glue it to a piece of plywood.