Fillet knife concept

Alex Middleton

I'm looking for some input on a fillet knife concept that I've been playing around with.  I tried forging one a while back and realized that both my forging and grinding skills aren't quite up to the task of doing something as thin as a fillet knife just yet.  Yesterday as I was leaving work I noticed an old used up band saw blade in the scrap hopper and had an idea.  I grabbed it and ground this little knife out last night.  The blade is 6" with a 10.5" OAL, thickness is 0.040".  I temporarily slapped some scales on it just to see what it felt like.  I'm trying to find out exactly what the material is but I'm assuming that it is some form of HSS.  As an experiment, I did a differential heat treat using a torch, with a water quench.  The edge seemed to harden up quite well and skated a file pretty easily.  I apologize for the poor picture quality, I haven't found a place in the house that provides very good lighting for taking up close pics.

20170803_203511.jpg20170803_203559.jpg

Any comments or suggestions when it comes to fillet knives?  I have a lot of friends and family who are fishermen and this seems like something that would make a nice gift around the holidays.

Thanks,

Alex

Yup.  The flex is just about perfect.  That was my motivation for the differential heat treat as I didn't want to overharden the blade and make it too stiff.  I'm still playing with the temper though.  As I was sharpening I noticed the edge was chipping off.  I need to redo it a touch warmer, hopefully that will fix the issue.

The stiffness of the blade has nothing to do with the heat-treatment and everything to do with the geometry... A full-flat grind flexes extremely well.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Thanks for the input guys.  I guess I was overthinking with the differential heat treat.  I'll try the next one as fully hardened and see if there is any difference in performance.  It took a few tries to get the temper so that it would take an edge, but I think I have it dialed in at 425 deg (at least in my oven).  JJ, I agree it's a little shorter than a lot of fillet knives out there.  I went with 6" blade as we mostly clean panfish and stream trout.  I actually prefer a 4" blade for cleaning bluegills.  Next up I'm going to have to clean some fish and test the edge retention.  I guess that means I have to go fishing now! 

Finished:

20170807_115904.jpg

Thanks,

Alex

• Like 1