LOKI VINK

Damascus

Forged it a while back. finally something worth showing.  K600, O1, EN45 

174 mm blade, 120 mm handle from camphor burl wood, silver guard 

Sheath is cow hide with ostrich shin leather.

KNIFE 1.jpg

• Like 1

Nice @LOKI VINK. I really like the shape and the handle/bolster looks like it will fit the hand well. About you profile: Any bear in particular you like, grizzly, polar, brown? :P Seriously though, good mead is hard to come by. Do you make your own?

Edited by Charles du Preez

Thanx Charles

indeed fits nicely

I Prefer my "Bear" on the dark side, black bear is good, grizzly not so much  haha cant believe it was missed spelt for so long and I didn't notice haha. thanx. As for mead I make it myself.. haven't made it for a while since thee are more important things that keep me busy these day. ferment for 9 months and do the transfer every 3rd month, also experimented with added some berries and oak.

Edited by LOKI VINK

nice knife. The steel looks flawless. I like the ricasso to have a little more drop down to the cutting edge, just as a style thing. Although I also make perfectly straight knives, often without a ricasso of any sort. I just mean that when there is a ricasso and a choil, that I personally prefer for there to be more of a pronounced curve. Don't think I am criticizing your knife, though. I like it, and it appears well and carefully made. I made a couple of very similar shape about 3 years ago. It is always challenging to know when to copy other styles versus when to stand on your own design. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and the sheath looks great, too.

Fantastic looking ladder pattern. I love tight ladder patterns like you did here! 

Some day I hope to make my own damascus. Last time I tried welding steels it didn't take and I though "MORE HEAT!" so half the knife dissapeared in a glorious steel sparkler show. The part that didnt burn away became a nice pizza slicer though. :P

Not at all Kevin. It was a thin piece i had to work with, that being said i think you are right about the ricasso. working on something different  now that will have just that.

Viktor if i were you i would try and find someone that offers a course in making Damascus rather than trying to do it and fail, dont get me wrong, trying new things and trying them by yourself and practising  is good.  we all have had that one knife stay too long in the forge and melt away haha.