• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonas Liebel

How do you think about this fancy design?

7 posts in this topic

Hey all, 

In my latest sketching/drawing session, the following design has been born.

In my opinion it looks pretty coolish and fancy, but I'm not sure whether all the handle carving will make it feel weird in the hand. 

Also, any suggestions for handle material? Im not sure if everything is good for such carvings.

General opinions on the overall design are welcome as well :)

Cheers!

IMG_20170808_102340.jpg

I wouldn't use that kind of carving on a blade that was going to be swung - machete, large camp knife, axe etc - as any surface irregularity will cause 'hot spots' in that style of use over extended periods, but for a shorter blade, that style of carving is pleasantly tactile, so I say go for it. For handle material, that style can be made to work on anything, but if it's your first time, I'd suggest something dense and short grained. Ebony and boxwood are the go-to's for a reason. Walnut and maple are also good choices - a bit softer, which makes them easier to carve, but more difficult to get a crisp, sculptural finish on. Antler or buffalo horn too... Just stay away from burls unless you like frustration.

1 person likes this

Thanks Jake! I'll keep your words in mind.

Does anyone know if photos of a similarly carved handle exist?

Do an image search for Wolfgang Loerchner.  He does a lot of carved handles on folders, although usually out of steel.  He's so good it can be discouraging, though!

Good lord, thank you for this name! So much inspiration to soak in!

7 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Do an image search for Wolfgang Loerchner.  He does a lot of carved handles on folders, although usually out of steel.  He's so good it can be discouraging, though!

I personally examined one of Wolfgang's daggers for over 10 minutes trying to find a flaw. Discouraging!

On 8/8/2017 at 8:28 AM, Jonas Liebel said:

Does anyone know if photos of a similarly carved handle exist?

While not exactly like what you have drawn above, I would tell you to check out Roman Stoklasa.  One of my favorite makers.  That guys does some sick handle and metal carving.

Edited by Wes Detrick