• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reed Cooley

Folded Hatchet Troubles

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm just looking for some help with folded hatchets(made out of old farriers rasps). On my first try I got it all shaped up and went for the weld. I cleaned it off with a wire brush then tried it. Absolutely could not get it to stick. Now i think this one was because i didn't have any flux. On the second on though I went through the same process but used borax as flux but could still not get it to weld.?!?!?

Please Help 

Edited by Reed Cooley

Did you grind down to clean metal first?

Have you had good luck welding in the forge you're using?  

On 8/9/2017 at 5:46 AM, Alan Longmire said:

Have you had good luck welding in the forge you're using?  

I have only used the forge for shaping so far and it works well for the this was my first attempt at forge welding ever.

I suspected as much.  You may have not enough heat, an oxidizing atmosphere, or both.  Without being with you at the forge it's hard to say what the exact issue is, unfortunately.

23 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I suspected as much.  You may have not enough heat, an oxidizing atmosphere, or both.  Without being with you at the forge it's hard to say what the exact issue is, unfortunately.

Thank you i will do some more research, and see if I can set the forge better.