Sign in to follow this  
JamesK

Viking Axe - In Progress

Hey guys, as a beginner, forging for only a few weeks with only a few finished knives, I decided to maybe do a modification rather than a knife from scratch. Can't say it's good so far but after about 30 minutes in day 1 I'd say it's a start! I'd love to hear some honest feedback, how to make it better, and if it's a good start! Please no nasty comments, I'm very new at this and would like critique and not harshness, thanks! I'll continue to post my progress, may take a while to complete! Also, if I sprinkle some borax on the axe before I decide to treat it, will it make it look cleaner? I've heard that

File_000.jpeg

File_000.jpeg

I like the bottom sketch James, if that is where you are going to take this axe head although my visual impression sees the waist as a little too tight, or it might be that the distance from the eye to the edge is a little too long proportionatly for the width.

Edited by Garry Keown

6 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

I like the bottom sketch James, if that is where you are going to take this axe head although my visual impression sees the waist as a little too tight, or it might be that the distance from the eye to the edge is a little too long proportionatly for the width.

Yea I realize if I get to that small width the axe will draw out a lot and I'll make it look awkward, so I'm most likely going to get it to the length and edge shape I want, then remove a lot of steel from the bottom