CPM154 Gyuto and tasmanian blackwood

Well this is a blade that is stainless steel :blink: and done via stock removal :ph34r: don't hate me too much guys! Sometimes high quality stainless is the way to go! I hope you enjoy it! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions on how I can improve my work.

Blade: ~7" (177.8mm) cutting edge with CPM154 stainless heat treated by Matthew Gregory (thanks man!) and it is about 2" (50mm)  tall allowing for plant of knuckle clearance. I used 0.1" (2.5mm) thick stock and it tapers down to a needle point and the edge is almost at zero. The spine and choil are crowned for comfort.

Handle:Wa handle style about 5.125" long (130mm). The bolster is made from black paper micarta to mimic buffalo horn but have complete water resistance. The body portion of the handle is made from a beautiful piece of stabilized curly Tasmanian Blackwood. This stuff looks sort of like Goa wood and the amount of chatoyance it exhibits really is something to admire. Simply put it's a gorgeous piece of wood. 

Overall this knife is ~12.25" or 311mm

and now for some pictures!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q74di1XsrqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YFUrPx_7Hrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

IMG_5088.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

Edited by JeffFogleboch
  • Like 2

Hey James, I wouldn't use Photobucket anymore.  We can't see the picture.  They are now charging to have 3rd party posting of pictures.  Upload the pictures directly to the board.