Sign in to follow this  
Brad Adams

Question about Brobo saw blade

G'day gents! Back from several years of not posting to ask if anyone can please help me out with what type of steel this blade might be (pic at the bottom). 

I was given this broken blade by an uncle on the off chance that I might be able to get a couple stock removals out of it. Definately not planning on forging at all.

I've tried to have a look on the webs for a data sheet or even just some basic info about it, but nearly every reference to it Ive found calls it "HSS M2 (DMo5)" with no real explanation as to why they've refered to it with brackets like that. Does this mean it's just another name for M2? Or is it some kind of variant or?

One or two sites even had it in the same paragraph as info on tungsten steels and whatnot, so I really just wanted a few other opinions before I start grinding at it.

I apologize if the pic is the wrong size or hard to read the information on, I'm uploading from a smart phone so I can't really review it before posting. 

20170814_011321.jpg

Generally speaking, those brackets do indeed mean it is just another specification that it meets.  The ASM Heat Treater's Guide lists the Italian spec that is equivalent to M2 as UNI X 82 WMo 0605 KU.  Sadly, I couldn't find a DMo5 in my quick search.  

Can't say about the specific designation but will tell you this much. Most blades today wheter it be a skill saw blade, a blade for a wet saw, or even a large blade in a mill, the blade itself is a composite of materials and usually is not hardenable! Think of it this way where they used to make the old blades, (the entire blade) of good steel. Nowdays it is just cheaper to build the core out of a cheaper steel and it is the the teeth that are often carbide in today's market. They are set on an assembly that takes that core down the line and in the time it takes you to sneeze and reach for your hanky. A robot has welded/brazed all the teeth on to the moly core and it is out for balance testing and on the line to be wrapped and out the door! 

Isn't automation wonderful, it sure put a lot of good workers out of business!!!

Edited by C Craft

Thank you very much guys. I really appreciate your help.

C Craft, I'm just as dissolutioned with the manufacturing industry as you seem to be, so that was the first thing I asked my uncle when he offered to me. Im pretty sure I remember him saying that it is actually mono steel.

Skip, that data sheet is a huge help, thanks heaps. 

Only questions I have now are:

According to the temper graph I think I'm supposed to temper it at around 500 degrees C...am I reading that right?

And secondly (and probably more importantly), it also says there is 6.4 points of tungsten in it...which means I can't forge it. But does that mean I cant grind it either?

You can grind it, it'll just eat abrasives faster than softer stuff.  Also, if you're just grinding it you probably won't need to re-temper it.  M2 HSS, after all, where HSS means high speed steel, which means it's formulated to keep its hardness up into a low red heat.  As long as you're not making it glow much you won't hurt it. 

Thanks Alan that's great news! 

I'm off work at the moment with a torn Achillies, so I can't afford to go out and buy proper steel or take the risk of forging anything incase I burn my foot which is in a moon boot thing with no protection. 

So this is great news for me. Thanks again everyone!

Just make sure you know where those sparks are landing if you use an angle grinder. Hope you heal quick.