Sign in to follow this  
JamesK

Straightening Axe Head - Help

So I finally finished my axe head and I was an idiot because I fit the handle (after multiple polyurethane coats), attached a leather handle too, but I just now noticed the wave in the hatchet edge, near the bottom (it has a slight Viking beard to it). Any way to straighten it without affecting the wood or leather handle? Again the wave is at the edge so my thought was to maybe buy a propane torch and heat up the edge, then lightly hammer it out to a better shape, then just re-treat it buy running the torch along the edge and heat treating it. 

Im open to any suggestions, but as a beginner who has never researched this topic I don't know what many things are so if you could explain I would greatly appreciate it!

and again, the head is firmly epoxied and wedged into the handle by this point, and being a small handheld hatchet the edge can't be fit into the forge without ruining the handle completely! So that is not an option!

thanks everyone! I spent days preparing to finally finish this axe and I'm super proud of it, now I just have this last hurdle to get over until I'm done

Hi James. Any chance you could add a photo of the wave and the axe head?

Also, for future reference, all of these threads you started for this ax can and probably should be a single thread.  It is much easier to have all the info for one project in one place.  Like I said, just for next time (keep at it!).  

For others coming across this thread, here are some of the other threads on this project:

6 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Hi James. Any chance you could add a photo of the wave and the axe head?

Yup here you go 

you can notice it mostly in the bottom one, it's near the bottom...the top is aligned right

also I just realized now (I edited this post a few hours later)...the warp is weird because picture looking at the axe from the front with the handle and edge perfectly parallel...the edge is sort of at a slight angle with the handle, so maybe something I can heat up and hammer out

IMG_7760.JPG

IMG_7761.JPG

Edited by JamesK
Forgot to mention something