Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

three phase questions

I recently bought a kalamazoo 6x48 3 hp 3 phase belt sander. I dont have 3 phase power so i bought a 3-5hp static phase converter. I hooked everything up and it starts and runs but the start up light doesn't turn off on the converter and the motor begins to heat up and smoke. 

I guess my question would be is there too much resistance with such a wide belt that it needs to run off a rotary phase converter instead of the static?

only thing i know about 3 phase is if you get the order wrong it can go badly i would look at the wiring diagram on the motor

Everything seems to be wired correctly but i am no electrician, but i was maintenance in a huge food processing plant. Everything was 3 phase but i never had to deal with a converter. It is really straight forward i dont really see where i could have messed anything up. The only thing i can think of is the starting load is to heavy so the converter is staying on thinking it is trying to start the motor. I am thinking of puting a idler motor in conjunction with the phase converter. If that dosent work then i am going to use a 5hp 3 phase motor i have and make my own rotary phase converter.

Thank you for your response and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Did you try running without a belt just to see if the motor runs OK by itself?  

Could it be that the motor is wired for star (wye) instead of Delta?

I  can't really say what your problem may be, not enough info/pic of your wiring, but a phase converter does not actually produce 3 phase power, it just gets the 3rd leg started as the motor runs off off the other 2 legs of power.....thus you are only getting 2/3 rating from the motor. It could be that you are not getting enough capacitance or have the wrong legs wired. I just went through some drama wiring a metal lathe....had some bad switch    wiring.....on the switch you only need 2 legs, not 3.....maybe you have a short somewhere?                                                            

Phase converters are old school technology.  If you get a NEMA 4X rated VFD you will get single phase in and 230 3 phase out.  You may want to have the motor checked out.  The previous owner may have let most of the smoke out and decided to let it be someone else's problem and they (you) could let the last bit out.

Let me know if I can help you.  

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Coe

I would upload pictures but my phone wont allow me to...but tomorrow i am taking the whole unit to my friend who owns and operates a starter alternator rebuild shop and is the smartest man i know. I would have done that right off the get go but he has been on vacation in the upper peninsula for the last week but he is back now and we will have this thing running in no time. But what we talked about today is the motor might be wired for high voltage when should be low. That was already wired to the switch and i didnt look at and should have. I didnt try running it without a belt because the motor was already over heating so i just gave up for the night. Another thing we are going to do is build a 5hp rotary phase converter to run this instead of the static phase converter. It delivers a more balanced power and the motor will run the full 3 hp. And i already have everything to build it now that i have a static phase converter to start this 5 hp motor that i have had for quite a while and havent found a use for it...all in all when everything is done i will have a good way to run 3 phase equipment under 5hp in my shop.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

3 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Another thing we are going to do is build a 5hp rotary phase converter to run this instead of the static phase converter.

Hi Jeremy

If it is possible and if you don't mind, could you please post a "how to" or WIP of building this?

Many Thanks,

Charles

Yeah i can document it the best i can and i will share when its all done. We will be getting to it around the beginning of next week. We would start now but my friend has quite a work load to catch up on from when he was on vacation. 

Thank you Jeremy. Looking forward to it.