Quigley Style Bowie

Hi Gents

I was asked if I could make a rendition of the Bowie carried by Tom Selleck in the film Quigley Down Under. The original was made by the knife maker Chuck Staple who sadly passed away in 2016. The knife I have made has a blade of W-1 just shy of 220mm long, 40mm wide, 5mm thick on the spine, the overall length of the knife is 345mm. I've left the flats rough forged and given the blade a forced acid etched patina. The hand guard and butt cap are made from 316 stainless steel and have been heat coloured to give them a nickel silverish look. The sheath has a leather body which is wrapped in raw hide, embellished with brass diamond studs and brass cones filled with horse hair. The first set of pic's are the original knives and sheath made by Chuck Staple.

All comments and questions very welcome.

Cheers

Steve

The_Quigley_Bowie.jpg

DSCF5276.jpg

DSCF5277.jpg

DSCF5279.jpg

DSCF5280.jpg

DSCF5281.jpg

DSCF5282.jpg

DSCF5283.jpg

• Like 5

Awesome! When I saw the tittle I had to think about the knife. I remember the rifle, fell in love with it! Alas is out of my price range!! As soon as my eyes hit the first pic, my mind was Oh, yea, I remember that one. Great work. Two thumbs up!!

It is not always easy, to copy of replicate a piece, that has been done. You want to put your own touch to it, without losing the prestige of theoriginal! I think you did a very good job. I am sure you client will be happy!!

Edited by C Craft

I like yours better because you filed the buttcap to fit the stag, but I think the choil-less look of the original is ever so slightly more sleek on the blade end...you still win, though. :lol:  Very nice tribute!  

Sir Craft, I think you can get a repro .50-120 Sharps for around $2K. ;) Is that the right caliber?  It's been around 25 years and I just remember it was a seriously long-range buffalo gun.

edit:  just looked it up and it's .45-110, $3533 from the guys who made the movie gun. :ph34r:

Edited by Alan Longmire

Gents as always thank you for your comments. Karim the butt cap was turned from a solid piece of 316 with a shank which was drilled and tapped for an M5 thread. I deliberated over whether or not to put a choil on the blade Alan and as you can see the choil won out this time, but looking at it I can see your point about flow and historically it may have been more accurate to have left it off. I also fell in love with that rifle, I have a couple of slots on my FAC for .45 and I'm sure that Kranks of Leeds do a Sharps in that calibre. I know it's not correct, but that maybe the best I can do here in the UK.

Steve

• Like 1

Nice one Steve. That knife looks like it could be 100 years old......except for the fact that it looks a lot better than most knives that were made back then.

• Like 1

I believe that rifle would be a .45 110 540 . A very good long range round . This knife looks to0 be very well done , nice work .