52100 San Mai

Very nice combination of steel wood and leather with each aspect enhancing the other two

Great lines, and clean. I love this blade it looks great. How was it forge welding this, they have such different properties and heat treating?

It has gorgeous lines! Awesome work. 

I was wondering if the 52100 was from a supplier or from a bearing race? I might give it a shot soon. I would be nice if you could explain us how it was done. 

Joel the 52100 is from a roller (1.5 inches in diameter and about 2 inches long ) out of a large roller  bearing.

I forged it out to about 1/8 of an inch thick ,ground the scale off, tack welded a 1/8 piece of 15N20 on each side applied some borax and forged it out in my press. Let the piece cool slowly in vermiculite otherwise the bearing is extremely hard and difficult to work with and to  drill any holes in the blank.

Edited by Cal G
  • Like 1

That's a really pretty knife and sheath.  Nice work!

OK, i swore i commented on this one, but obviously not. Perhaps because i thought words wouldn't do it justice. Very nice looking piece. I love that subtle harpoon point, not too over the top and the symmetry with the pins.