• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
jake cleland

Rankin and Bass Sting

10 posts in this topic

After being reminded of the Rankin and Bass Hobbit version of sting by Robert Carters superb wooden model in his 'Maegnas' post, I knew I had to make my own interpretation. I drew up a design and spent a good few hours forging the blade. I went with silver steel edges around a wrought iron core. I also forged a guard from wrought iron, and today I got the blade hardened, so I figure I may as well give a sneak peek...

the main image I'm working off:

sting a.jpg

my design:

sting 1.jpg

core and edges ready for assembly

:sting 5.jpg

And welded:

sting 6.jpg

test etch:

sting 11.jpg

Blade and guard after the quench and first temper:

sting 20.jpg

let me know what you think so far...

1 person likes this

I think it's looking very good so far!  Too bad it won't glow on its own, though. B)

Like it!! What are the materials of the core and edge?? Was it hard to get them to bond well?

the core is antique wrought Iron from the Isle of Rhum, probably from the 1840s, forged down from about 3/4" square, and the edges are Silver steel, which is basically the same as W1 drill rod, forged from 3/8ths round. The wrought sticks like glue to pretty much anything, but it was my first time trying that style of tip, and it took a lot of heats before I was sure everything was closed and stuck - there's still a tiny void between the tip and the core - by which time I was nearly out of gas, and the rest of the edge welds had to be set very quickly, which led to some slight mistakes, but nothing irreparable  

That is very cool :)

Thanks Jake. It is looking really good from here. Can't wait to see it all come together!!!

Edited by C Craft

Hey Jake. Just spotted where you are. I may have to drop you a line next time I come to the Talisker distillery :). Are you coming to Owen Bush's Forge-in in May? If you still have Sting, please bring it along. It will be nice to meet you.

Slowly coming together. I got the blade ground - it's very thin now, maybe a little too thin for an iron cored blade, as it takes a set pretty easily, but the wide fuller and narrow edge bars left no other option - and the handle components roughed out. I sculpted the guard with files, and that will get a pretty minimal amount of clean up before getting heavily fire etched and oil blued. I will then selectively polish and heat blue some of the sculptural elements. Made a mortised handle shaft from sycamore, which will get some minimal carving and maybe copper inlay, and fitted the ferrule. Made some brass washers, which need coining and polishing. Forged and rough ground the pommel, which will get the same treatment as the guard, and drilled and tapped it and threaded the tang...

sting 21.jpg

sting 29.jpg

Charles, the Talisker distillery is about 50 yards from the best pub in the world, where my friends play traditional music sessions on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays (we also have champagne Tuesdays, Old Man Sundays, and 'Hey, it's a Bit Quieter' Saturdays, and the owner is a smith...) I'm there every Thursday for sure - give me a shout when you're up.

Coming along very nicely Jake. I assume the ferrule is recessed for the imminent carving? Why are you using copper for the inlay? Surely you have some mithril somewhere? :). I also like the scabbard texture. Is it crocodile?

Man that pub sounds like an awesome excuse to come up to Scotland. I'll let you know when I have made some definite plans.