This is not a question but I thought this might be the right place to show how I setup my forge. You are free to comment! So there you go:

- I used James Spurgeon's design for the ventury burner. It was quite easy as every component self aligned the burner tip right in the middle of the pipe. It has been harder however to find black iron pipes and fittings here in Canada. Got them from Acklands. Do not use galvanized steel. It will reek toxic fumes.

- The horizontal propane tank pattern seamt to be the most versatile so I went for it. DO PURGE THE TANK PROPERLY BY REMOVING THE VALVE AND FILLING IT WITH WATER BEFORE YOU DO A SINGLE SPARK. The day after it will still stink but it's only the sulfur or whatever they put in propane that's impregnated in the metal, so no danger.

I also had the idea of cutting a door, weld a hinge and bolt a clip that I took from a fire extinguisher wall holder. It allows me to put large stock and replace the brick easily. It works very well! I can put half a coil spring in for straightening. After a few uses I realized that I cut the front window a bit too big and the rear window should be held shut when not needed to limit heat loss. I used one layer of 2" 6lbs kaowool(I know 8lbs is better but only 6lbs was available). Then a coat of about a quarter inch of castable refractory cement. I have to say that part was a pain in the ass...:lol: Those who did it will know. For those who choose not to coat with cement, you should at least use a wool hardener to increase durability and save your lungs from airborne ceramic.

I angled the burner just enough to have a nice swirl and less hot spots. 

P_20170714_163357.jpg

P_20170714_163439.jpg

P_20170714_163252.jpg

P_20170714_163239.jpg

P_20170714_163244.jpg

P_20170714_163317.jpg

P_20170827_194018.jpg

P_20170827_202841.jpg

P_20170827_203934.jpg

Edited by Joël Mercier
  • Like 1

I'm as new as can be.  This hobby is so appealing to me on so many levels.  I'm just trying to put together a list of tools that I'd need to get started.  Obviously, the forge is one that's needed.  Your design looks GREAT.  So that's a propane tank that you cut up to form the body of the forge?  Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to build that forge?  It looks like it would be a reasonable way to start, and it looks like it works exactly as it should.   

Thanks much for your time and reply,

Warner

1 hour ago, Warner Smith said:

I'm as new as can be.  This hobby is so appealing to me on so many levels.  I'm just trying to put together a list of tools that I'd need to get started.  Obviously, the forge is one that's needed.  Your design looks GREAT.  So that's a propane tank that you cut up to form the body of the forge?  Are there any step-by-step instructions on how to build that forge?  It looks like it would be a reasonable way to start, and it looks like it works exactly as it should.   

Thanks much for your time and reply,

Warner

Thank you!

A forge is not required if you plan to start by stock removal. You can use acetylene or propane torches to do the heat treatment. If you actually want to blacksmith/bladesmith, I can pm you how I did my forge. Keep in mind that I am a newbie and took most of the info through googling. 

The burner was designed by James Spurgeon and there are step by step instructions in this forum.

Edited by Joël Mercier
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Whoa, now that's an old thread. Much has passed, blades were made, fun was had, shop was closed. I may be back on track in a little while. 

In the meantime, I found this thing on marketplace that was advertised as 102 pounds. Lucky me, I paid the 102 pound price for a 102 kilograms(224 pounds)  top shape JB. 

It'll be sitting in the shed until I build a new shop.

PXL_20210610_164334393.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 6/12/2021 at 4:24 PM, Alan Longmire said:

Score indeed!  I was about to correct your math, but then realized 2 CWT is 224 lbs anyway.  :lol:

Yeah, well, it's also written 102kgs on the other side. :lol:

PXL_20210610_165102157.jpg