Sign in to follow this  
Richard van Dijk

Bird and Trout Knife

Hi A[[

Just finished a little damascus Bird and Trout knife, approx 320 layer O1, 1095 and 15N20 steel,textured brass fittings and deer antler.
Total length 19.5 cm blade 9.5 cm.
And a pic of all the parts before assembly.

P1120423.JPG

P1120431.JPG

P1120421.JPG

• Like 2

Lovely knife Richard. Could I ask for a bit of a close up of the brass fittings faces and edges please? I'm trying to figure out that ridge that seems to wrap the blade/tang junction. Thanks.

• Like 1

nice knife, especially the details in the finish

• Like 1

I really appreciate the details in the fabricated bits, since that's how I do silverwork not having casting equipment.  And that's a spiffy antler!

• Like 1

P1120423.JPG

Simple elegance!! Really classy!! My eyes just keep going back to the pic for more!!

My definition of simple elegance ~

A woman with just a hint, of perfume, dressed elegantly in a little black dress and heels, with just enough showing to enhance the beauty of her body!

Oh, damn, there goes the dirty ole man in me again!!! 

I really don't know what to say that seems befitting of this one Richard! I always pay attention when your name pops up but, this one is a cut above most!!!  Image result for bowing emoji

• Like 1

I love this.  From the textured fittings, the steel and antler.  Good stuff!  If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to patina the brass?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Lovely knife Richard. Could I ask for a bit of a close up of the brass fittings faces and edges please? I'm trying to figure out that ridge that seems to wrap the blade/tang junction. Thanks.

Charles, Here is a close up, it is just a little collar soldered onto the bolster, I use hard, medium and easy silver solder.

Thanks Alan, in my opinion casting can make things too heavy.

C. Craft I will start blushing if you go on like that.

Wes,  I patina the brass by putting a little STRONG ammonia in a jar then suspending the fittings in the jar put a lid on it and place in a warm spot, after a while open the jar ,do this under an extractor,  rinse off and use some fine steel wool to shine up the high spots.

P1120442.JPG