J.Arthur Loose

Smelting Blower Specs

The higher output connect being "0-10v" i presume, right? This is what I feel too and it how it is set up in the second photo. I havn't tried moving the white line to the sig-generator. If that was the case which other wire would connect to  the power cord for the blower?

Well, with the blue (low supposedly) connected to "OV" and red (high supposedly) connected to "0-10V" the blower actually does slow down from 10V down to about just under 7V. After that it just turns off... bad blower electronics? bad signal generator? I'm baffled. 

I used to have a half dozen of these blowers that were used for smelting classes. The blower has an internal 0 ohm to 10k ohm potentiometer that you can adjust via a hole in the metal case. If it was adjusted to the 10k ohm end of the range you might see the issues you're having!  Ametek uses the term sensitivity adjustment in their documentation.

This schematic diagram is reproduced from some notes I made years ago and years ago.  

Ametek speed control.jpg

14 hours ago, Skip Williams said:

I used to have a half dozen of these blowers that were used for smelting classes. The blower has an internal 0 ohm to 10k ohm potentiometer that you can adjust via a hole in the metal case. If it was adjusted to the 10k ohm end of the range you might see the issues you're having!  Ametek uses the term sensitivity adjustment in their documentation.

This schematic diagram is reproduced from some notes I made years ago and years ago.  

Ametek speed control.jpg

Thanks for the response Skip. Nice to see this little diagram. I did find this little adjustment on the schematics and asked the company about it. I've tried playing with it and to no avail unfortunately. At this point I feel the problem is definitely in the electronics of the blower. I found another one on ebay that I ordered so when it arrives I can test to see if I get the same issue or  not.  It also seems like maybe a fuse is being tripped as once the blower cuts out it won't turn on again until I unplug and re-plug the main power to the blower. 

Skip: You say you used a bunch of these blowers for smelts. Out of curiosity what model blowers were you using. I was surprised at how small the 116630 was when it arrived, but according the cfm/pressure graph apparently looks good.  

Thanks,

Eric

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Skip Williams said:

According to this old thread the blowers were the next step up in CFM. Ametek 116643http://catalog.ametekdfs.com/ecatalog/blowers/en/116643-01

Hmmm... hopefully the cfm on the 116630 is high enough. Besides the lower max cfm the pressure/cfm graph compared to the 116643 are quite similar. 

21 minutes ago, Skip Williams said:

Edited by Eric Dennis

Got a new blower, same model except an 03 instead of 04. That one worked well after adjusting the internal sensitivity adjustment on the blower. Glad to know about that little thing! Looks like that first one had issues all along.