Sign in to follow this  
Jerrod Miller

Mini-Anvils, Possibly For Sale

As some of you may know, I was able to cast my own anvil that I was unfortunately unable to bring to market, but love to use!  

I now work at the foundry that makes the Rhino anvils for Incandescent Ironworks.  This post, however is not about those either.  This post is about some tiny anvils that we make as more of a desktop toy/paperweight.  They are 6" from tip of the horn to end of the heel.  They weigh about 3 pounds.  The one pictured below is made out of a high-chrome white iron, but theoretically we can make it out of a variety of alloys, with or without heat treatment.  If there is a big enough order, maybe as little as 100 anvils, we would even customize the lettering (instead of Wear-Tek, it could say whatever else would fit there).  The opposite side looks just like the side pictured below (same lettering/logo).  I would like to get a batch made of the same alloy as the Rhino anvils and get them heat treated, just for grins.  Other than possibly setting rivets on them, these things are just for fun though.  So my question to the forum:  Do you think these would sell?  Like if I were to contact Old World Anvils, or Blacksmiths Depot, or some place like that, would anyone think of buying one with their logo on it?  Would the alloy and heat treatment be of concern to you if you wanted to buy one?  I am quite interested to hear your thoughts on it.  Thanks!

mini_wt_anvil.jpg

I have a similar one (London pattern) on the shelf about three feet from me.

It was made for the Enderes Tool Co. in Albert Lea, MN (I have no idea...)

I don't use it. It was given to me by a coworker and it's a good conversation starter.

I know that some folks collect miniatures. I think they're cool.

I guess the price would have a lot to do with it.

Maybe you could get a hundred commitments and have "Bladesmith Forum" cast into 'em  B)

17 minutes ago, Don Abbott said:

Maybe you could get a hundred commitments and have "Bladesmith Forum" cast into 'em  B)

I had that same thought!  Though I don't think it would fit.  

I also thought it would possibly be cool to have on your table when selling knives, especially when not at a blade show specifically (for those that have booths at Renn Faires, farmers markets, etc.).  I think the price will be in the $25-30 range for individuals, but possibly a bit cheaper for bulk orders.  Maybe I could get @JPH to get a bunch and include them as a bonus when you buy his next book.  B)

• Like 1

At that sort of price range, I would be interested.  As you say, it would be a good conversation starter on a show table.  Maybe turn it into a business card holder of some sort...

@ 3lbs, I can think of some bench uses where the heat treating would be nice as well.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

I'll see what I can do to get some of these available and actual pricing.  Any requests for an alloy type that would be most preferred?  I am thinking it will really be down to high chrome white iron or the tool steel we use for the Rhinos (and heat treated).  The HCWI would be cheaper, but would heat treated tool steel be worth a few extra bucks to you guys?  

I'd spring for the tool steel.  I'm probably a buyer for 2 of them to be honest.

coffecomputer_zps3ac713db.gif

On 9/22/2017 at 11:13 AM, Jerrod Miller said:

I'll see what I can do to get some of these available and actual pricing.  Any requests for an alloy type that would be most preferred?  I am thinking it will really be down to high chrome white iron or the tool steel we use for the Rhinos (and heat treated).  The HCWI would be cheaper, but would heat treated tool steel be worth a few extra bucks to you guys?  

I would spend the extra bucks. 

There has been a bad rash of the sales guy in charge of this and I not being around at the same time for me to discuss this with him.  I should be able to get numbers by the end of this week though.  The biggest problem may be the payments.  I may have to buy a lot of them myself, then sell them on my own.  I certainly haven't lost sight of this project and will update as soon as I know what can and will be done.  

• Like 1

I got the go-ahead to make 2 molds of this in our proper anvil alloy (air hardening tool steel).  That will make 8 anvils, if they all come out OK (we've only made them out of high chrome white iron as of yet).  If they come out OK through HT, they will be up for sale.  Well, 7 of them will be.  :ph34r:

I think price will be $30 ea. plus actual shipping cost.  Not sure how it will work, but most likely I'll either buy them myself and sell them on my own, or I think we have a company eBay account that we can post them to.  Either way, I'll report back here.  

Unfortunately not.  At least not anything that would be useful.  You could clamp it in a vise though.   

These were on the schedule to pour yesterday.  Haven't been into the foundry yet to track them down.  HT will be next week some time, and I don't know when they will be surface ground and painted.  Shouldn't be too long though.  Assuming they don't crack in HT.  ;)

SWMBO saw this and decided, all by herself:rolleyes: (yah, that's the ticket), that I could use one for Xmas so I'm in for one.

33 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

These were on the schedule to pour yesterday.  Haven't been into the foundry yet to track them down.  HT will be next week some time, and I don't know when they will be surface ground and painted.  Shouldn't be too long though.  Assuming they don't crack in HT.  ;)

Cool :)  For such a low cost I am assuming you made the pattern yourself?  I'd love to see the pattern just for my own education.

We made the pattern on our CNC router.  There is a central sprue with 4 cavities around it.  We made it so we can give away the anvils as cool paperweights (with our logo) to customers and potential customers.  It was all designed with the high chrome white iron in mind, as that is what we make a lot of and they were only meant to look cool, not be functional.  I got a few weird looks when I said it would be way cooler if they were anvil alloy and heat treated.  Who cares that they are only 3 pounds!  You can set rivets on that, and it is just cooler!  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

You can set rivets on that, and it is just cooler!  

I'm thinking I may waterjet a hardy hole in mine and make tooling to back up domed handle pins :)

Good news and bad news mix:

The first batch I requested through the foundry got lost (I'm guessing my request, not the anvils).  A couple days later I was able to ensure a batch got made.  Being such a small amount of castings, they didn't get a high priority to go through the shop, but they did go through.  They are heat treated (~53 HRC) and surface ground, ready to go!  

Mini_anvils.jpg

Now the bad news:  The salesman in charge of this won't be able to review this project until Tuesday at the earliest.  I am not sure how he wants to go about with selling these.  I'll let you know as soon as I find out though!  

• Like 1

We did talk about adding a hardie hole... But it would be too difficult to remove the ceramic we would have to use for the core.  ;)