• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We made the pattern on our CNC router.  There is a central sprue with 4 cavities around it.  We made it so we can give away the anvils as cool paperweights (with our logo) to customers and potential c

I missed this thread, but those are really cool little anvils. If your company was up for it, I think a really good seller would be something slightly more robust than the Old World Anvils 4X4.

I had that same thought!  Though I don't think it would fit.   I also thought it would possibly be cool to have on your table when selling knives, especially when not at a blade show specifically

Posted Images

I missed this thread, but those are really cool little anvils.

If your company was up for it, I think a really good seller would be something slightly more robust than the Old World Anvils 4X4.

You see a lot of new smiths looking for a starter anvil.  A small post anvil that was 5" square and 12"-18" long would be a great starter for most bladesmiths. I'll bet you guys could sell the heck out of them, especially if you cast into them some holes or lash points that could be used to secure it to a stump or stand.

Neat project!

Dave

• Like 2

We'd be happy to make them, but would need an order first.  If anyone from Old World Anvils (or similar) would like to work out a design and order some, we could make it happen in a hurry.  

3 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

I missed this thread, but those are really cool little anvils.

If your company was up for it, I think a really good seller would be something slightly more robust than the Old World Anvils 4X4.

You see a lot of new smiths looking for a starter anvil.  A small post anvil that was 5" square and 12"-18" long would be a great starter for most bladesmiths. I'll bet you guys could sell the heck out of them, especially if you cast into them some holes or lash points that could be used to secure it to a stump or stand.

Neat project!

Dave

3 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

We'd be happy to make them, but would need an order first.  If anyone from Old World Anvils (or similar) would like to work out a design and order some, we could make it happen in a hurry.  

I could darn near retail them to people I meet who are "bladesmith curious". I see someone on Etsy is selling a 2 brick starter kit. Thought about putting something together myself just for face-to-face sale.

Here is a 5"x5"x8" (plus draft, plus feet with 3/4" round bolt holes) post anvil.  It would weigh just over 60 pounds.  I would imagine we would sell them for somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-300 each (probably close to the $4/pound range, maybe a little more).  Definitely bulk discounts (for anything more than 10, I would think), getting the price closer to $3.50/pound.  That is assuming someone wanted to pay to get the pattern made (something that simple would be fairly cheap).  It would even be possible to add a threaded hole in the center of the base, so you could forge a bolt down to a stake and thread a stake in (I think, maybe there would need to be a bit of a design change, nothing too big though).  I don't know what the added cost would be for that, maybe $25-50?  

Post_Anvil.JPG

• Like 1

Unless someone has a better suggestion, I think I am going to go with the eBay route on these 3 pounders.  We tend to sell tools and such that we no longer use on eBay, and to date have used individual owners' accounts.  I think this will be the time to set up a company account.  If I'm lucky I can convince them to keep this as a stocked item, always listed on eBay.  Looks like they should fit in a USPS small flat rate box ($6.50).  

16 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

Here is a 5"x5"x8" (plus draft, plus feet with 3/4" round bolt holes) post anvil.  It would weigh just over 60 pounds.  I would imagine we would sell them for somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-300 each (probably close to the $4/pound range, maybe a little more).  Definitely bulk discounts (for anything more than 10, I would think), getting the price closer to $3.50/pound.  That is assuming someone wanted to pay to get the pattern made (something that simple would be fairly cheap).  It would even be possible to add a threaded hole in the center of the base, so you could forge a bolt down to a stake and thread a stake in (I think, maybe there would need to be a bit of a design change, nothing too big though).  I don't know what the added cost would be for that, maybe $25-50?  

Post_Anvil.JPG

That looks fantastic, man. I think they'd sell like hotcakes. Recommend you size it such that it can fit in the largest USPS flat rate box. When I had my post anvil cut at old world anvils, that was the restrictive dimension.  Really cuts down on shipping costs.

1 hour ago, Dave Stephens said:

Recommend you size it such that it can fit in the largest USPS flat rate box.

If there were feet on just 2 sides rather than all 4 it would fit.  

I see no reason to have four feet, and the owner can always turn it over and drill/tap for a spike if desired.  I think if you could get the cost down a little more those would sell quite well.  Call them the Miller block anvil or something.  I find myself wondering if a heat-treated and dressed block that size might not be more cost-effective cut from large square bar, but I have no idea.  I also think a 4" wide by 6" long face on an 8" tall body with bolting tabs cast on the narrow ends would be even better?  And still fit in a flat-rate box...

8 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

the owner can always turn it over and drill/tap for a spike if desired.

They would be very hard pressed to do that with this material.  It is air hardening, so the whole thing will be through hardened to about HRC 53 (give or take).  

Moot point until someone wants to have a pattern built and place an order.  They can name it whatever they want too!  

Well, it is certainly more complicated to get these things up on eBay than I anticipated.  For example: I have no idea what the legal requirements for sales tax are.  I was also thinking eBay would let me have people pay them, and they would send me (my company) a check.  This does not appear to be the case.  Hopefully I can get it sorted tomorrow morning and get a link to the sales page here.  

Jared , we do ebay on the side. Almost all transactions thru ebay, payment is thru paypal , fees between ebay and pay pal end up around 15% of the selling price . Wa state  you report it as a sale just like any other and have to pay sales tax quarterly for anything sold in the state, everything else is difficult  to understand but I believe at this time you don't have to do anything. let me know if you need help heck it may be even easier to have someone post them in a personal account rather than your  employers kinda like what you were originally proposing  that you buy them and  then sell to members. Chris

Thanks Chris, but I am trying to get the company to have an eBay account so that we can really sell a lot more stuff.  Possibly used equipment, but I also really want to start using eBay to be a testing ground for products too.  The difficult part is that I am an engineer, not in sales or accounting; so I don't really have access to how we would like to handle it internally.  It would be a lot easier if I were to do it myself, but I hope that eventually we will be selling enough (of various things) to make it so that is not the case.  Just want to get it set up correctly to begin with so once I hand it off to sales/accounting, it won't just get moth-balled.  

Good news and bad news.  

The good news: The anvils available are now list online (eBay)!  They are $30 plus $7 for shipping.  

The bad news:  One of our salesmen/owners gave away half of them to customers that flew in for a visit.  So at the time of this post there are only 3 for sale.  The remaining anvils are safely on my desk now.  

More good news (its a roller coaster post, I know):  I'll get more made ASAP.  I'll start with another 8 or 12 (there is 4 per mold, so at least 2 molds).  I will keep these new ones in on my desk too.  

This round has now sold out.  The next batch are scheduled to be poured tomorrow.  I am hoping to have them ready to list again by the end of next week, but bigger customer orders get priority in the shop.  I'll be getting this round mailed off on Monday/Tuesday (post office is closed until Monday due to the holiday).  

• 3 months later...

Funny you should ask.  I just got another round cast the other day.  I'm not sure where they are in the foundry at the moment, but I am hoping to be able to list some more on eBay next week.  I had tried earlier than this, but they looked terrible, so we scrapped them all (I have one on my desk as a constant reminder).  This time I asked for 5 molds (20 anvils).  I saw one set right after shake out (before being blasted), and they looked OK.  I'll definitely post here the moment we have some ready to ship (with the listing link).  

On 11/8/2017 at 8:51 PM, Jerrod Miller said:

Post_Anvil.JPG

Jerrod, somehow I missed this. I like the concept. However, It would be much more useful for bladesmithing with a rectangular face so you could straighten longer blades. if you could give one side a slight heal (couple inches?) for straightening purposes, and to add a hardy, I would be all about that. If you could keep it under $400 I bet you would sell much faster than you could make them. It would act like a bigger anvil with that really big sweet spot. 

This has really got me thinking.... What would a dedicated bladesmithing anvil look like? An anvil with no frills, but jam all the functionality needed for a general purpose bladesmithing anvil. And how could you target savy beginners with small paychecks (such as myself)? 

It would be pretty sweet if you could make an anvil with a shallow waist (if any) in order to maintain a big sweetspot, and make it with say a 4 to 5x8"(ish) face with a slight waist on one side for a hardy in a heel, and a couple flat feet at the front and back with mounting holes, and have it sit maybe 10" tall "maybe 80-100 lbs-ish? it could have a horn, but It's not really necessary. The main purpose for a horn in bladesmithing is drawing metal out (which is why I have a straight peen hammer). And would there be a way to keep it below $500? Would their even be a market since people only see the classic london pattern when the think of an anvil? I know I would pounce on it!

I think of a, roughly , of something like a steel 4x6 with the 4" side being the face, about a 6-8" face with one end having a bottom swage profile rounded on three or four inches extra ( taking the place of a horn) and on the other end a couple of inches of hot cut profile . A Hardy would also be nice.

6 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

Sorry, I forgot about that thread. I remember posting on that one lol. I'll have to go back and read what I wrote to see if I had the same ideas then. 

5 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

I think of a, roughly , of something like a steel 4x6 with the 4" side being the face, about a 6-8" face with one end having a bottom swage profile rounded on three or four inches extra ( taking the place of a horn) and on the other end a couple of inches of hot cut profile . A Hardy would also be nice.

I don't get your meaning of "hot cut profile"