WIP--A Bowie from Concept to Completion

Gary Mulkey

Often I get my best designs late at night.  This pic of a recurve Bowie is what I sketched at 2AM recently:

(The bottom one  is  simply a refinement of  the top.)

IMG_5909_opt

I decided to  give this one a nine-bar Merovingian  Damascus blade.  Here's a pic of the initial components:

IMG_5911_opt_opt

The Damascus bars here have 54  layers each.  I gave each a double  layer of extra thick 15N20 in the center.  Hopefully that will give me a nice twisted  ribbon effect in the final billet.  The round piece is stainless for a front handle  spacer.  The thinner piece will be a contoured butt cap.  (I haven't  cut  out the guard material yet.)

Here's the five bars twisted:

IMG_5912_opt

And the same five bars cut & stacked.  I'll try to get them surface ground & welded into a  billet tomorrow and post  some pics of  the  progress.

IMG_5916_opt

Hope  you enjoy the walk through of this Bowie.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 4

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

One final forging  of  the separate twisted pieces to  thin them (in order to effectively weld this many pieces they need to be much thinner than they are wide). 

IMG_5918_opt

Next they must be surface ground to eliminate  all scale & twisting lines on the surfaces to be welded (18).

IMG_5920_opt

IMG_5925_opt

Here's the final stack ready to be  welded (five right-hand twists and four left-hand):

IMG_5928_opt

I'll try to get  this welded and maybe forged into a blade  this  afternoon.

• Like 3

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Welded:

IMG_5933_opt

Bladesmithed & normalized: (the  odd  color  here is  melted borax which I use during normalizing as  an anti-scale)

IMG_5940_opt

I'll wait until  tomorrow  to  see  what the  pattern  turned  out  like.  (smile) Time to relax.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Thanks for creating this post Gary. Could I ask what the "as-forged" dimensions are? Thanks

• Like 1

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

Thank you Gary. So about 2" wide it looks like. How thick is it at this stage?

• Like 1

Thanks Gary. Nice pattern and shape.

• Like 1

I got most of the  handle  components roughed out  today (416 & walrus ivory).  

I've yet to H/T the blade.  You can see some discoloration in one spot in the blade.  (That's where I straightened a small warp.)

Hopefully  tomorrow I will get the  blade H/T'ed and the remainder of  the hilt roughed out.  That will give me three  days for fit &  finish before the ICCE Show.

IMG_5959_opt

• Like 2

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Here's  the first dry fit-up:

All that remains is to apply the adhesive to  the hilt and sharpen it (I'll  also apply several coats of  gun stock  finish to the ivory).

IMG_5983_opt

IMG_5969_opt

Hope  you enjoyed  the trip  through this one.

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 3

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Yes, thank you for sharing this Gary.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wesley Alberson said:

What is your process for fitting a curved butt plate on the end of your handles?

I made some special dies for my press with a 2" diameter concave & convex to bend some 1/8" 416.  I ground the ivory freehand on my belt grinder to match the curvature of  the cap.

• Like 1

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Love it!

• Like 1

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft