Sign in to follow this  
LOKI VINK

first knife with my logo

thought id share my new knife I made with my Logo etched with salt water and a small electric gate motor battery.. etched real fast. anyone know how to make it etch a little smoother and slower.?

20170907_163427.jpg

20170907_163939.jpg

• Like 1

Mooi mes man B). Unfortunately I haven't done the etch yet. I was going to try it on my next knife. I do know that etching happens at different rates depending on the structure of the steel. If the area you've etched isn't uniformly hardened (being possibly on the edge of your heat and quench) you may get an uneven etch.

ag dankie man haha. jy van Suid Afrika af na Engeland toe getrek?.   i also think the hardning process can effect the etch.. I used N690 stainless.

Hehe. Yeah, I came to the UK 16 years ago to see a bit of the world... then life happened ;)

So funny to read SA, puik messie trouwens. Great Job on the blade, you could consider using vinegar (no salt) if i recall correctly.

haha as far as i know im the only Afrikaans guy on this site. I know what you mean Charles. dank je Karim, il do vinegar next time on a test piece or use less salt in the water. 

Adding some resistance between your battery and the etching pad will slow the etch down.  Just a few ohms will probably do.  The back-yard anodizers used to use a tank of salt water as a resistor before adjustable power supplies became so affordable.

sure I can get a small resistor to do the job. thanx Brian