Heat treating with a gas forge - some questions

Jonas Liebel

Thermocouple in the forge as Alan says. It works in the forge. A magnet needs to be used out of the forge.

Back before IR thermometers became available, there used to be an optical hot-wire pyrometer that used an electrically-heated Platinum wire. The operator held the instrument with the wire between the object to be measured and his eye then adjusted the current in the wire until it became invisible against the background. He then read the temperature of the wire, which would be the same as that of the background object. 

The thermocouple is used in a similar way.

Jonas, what type of burners are you using? Can you get that forge to burn down at 800 degC? If so, can you get the temperature reasonably even throughout the forge at 800 degC?

If it'll do what you need it to do, that's wonderful. I'd love to see some more detail so that I, and others, can learn from it. 

Does anyone use Tempil Sticks for temperature checking? I have not but am just wondering.

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos qui libertate donati nescimus quid constat

Thank you guys!

10 hours ago, timgunn said:

Jonas, what type of burners are you using? Can you get that forge to burn down at 800 degC? If so, can you get the temperature reasonably even throughout the forge at 800 degC?

Hehe, well, I haven't build the forge yet, I'm still waiting for the insulation material to arrive. I'm planning to build a venturi burner, but I have not yet decided which one to pick of the hundreds of tutorials and how-to's that are out there. It is really confusing for a beginner.

Another question arose about heat treating 1095, I'll just ask it here if that's okay:

Is it really essential to give every blade a 10 minute soak at 800°C / 1475 F ? Because saving that time was the main reason I wanted to get a bunch of blades in there at the first place. Also, is there any difference in that soaking time if there is clay on the blade?

I'm sorry, but there are so many things I haven't really dived into yet... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

You know, I have no doubt you could build your own. Lots of people do. I personally have trouble with that type of stuff. It's like when I'm underneath my truck fixing the ball joint, or muffler, or the secondary air injection motor. I end up super mad, dirt in both eyes yelling "I'M NOT A /#@&!#÷  MECHANICH!" So, I bought my burners and forge from chilé I think they sell a burner called the "diablo burner". No one ever complains that they shouldve bought the crappier model.

With 1095 in knife blade thickness it is absolutely NOT necessary to give it a ten-minute soak.  That ten minute figure is per inch of thickness for the thinnest part you want hardened.  Do the math and see how much soak time you need for a kitchen knife.  ;)

• Like 1