Alveprins

Exotic material test - Jet Turbine Steel

Ok, so I've got some quite exotic steel that I've been testing out today... All I can say is that I do not know the composition, but I do know that it is from a modern Jet Turbine engine shaft used in commercial aircraft.

Now - I wanted to see if it would take a quench- so I tried.

Quenched it above critical in food oil. I did not heat the oil - and it was probably around 15 degrees celcius.
I tried a file on it - and it would not bite. So - I put it in a vice and banged it with a hammer in hopes to break it and see the grain structure. Nothing. It just bent - slightly. So I banged and banged the steel piece until it had completely bent over. Then I banged it back again, and back, and back again until it finally broke out of structural integrity fatigue.

I measured the hardness of the hardened piece with Japanese hardness tester files. The 60HRC file did not bite - but the 65 HRC file scratched it somewhat.

Here are some closeup images of the break:

Test 01.jpg

I was amazed that even over 60 HRC it would not break - even with no annealing or anything. I simply quenched it in oil, waited for a little while - then cooled it down in room temperature water. And still it would not break.

Oh - and I made a pattern welding billet from this mystery-steel, combined with regular high carbon steel:

Test 02.jpg

This is how clear the pattern is even without acid or anything. Just simply cutting off a piece with my angle grinder - and it looks like this.

Oh - and speaking of angle grinder.. This steel EATS cutting discs like it was candy. I kid you not. The metal is hard to forge - even at almost white hot. Even at welding temperature it moves slowly under the hammer - and leaves almost no scale. Very very strange behaviour. It is almost as if it is both hard and non-brittle at the same time... Incredible stuff.

Any thoughts from you guys? :)

What shaft in particular?  I would have thought it was either a titanium-nickel or stainless alloy, but neither of those would have forge wleded so easily.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

4 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

What shaft in particular?  I would have thought it was either a titanium-nickel or stainless alloy, but neither of those would have forge wleded so easily.

I can't disclose that. Sorry. :D

i am following this. can't wait to see a blade forged out of this!

Edited by Joël Mercier
  • Like 1

UPDATE: Alright - for those who want to follow the knife build itself - I kindly referr you to the WIP thread in the Show and Tell section of the forum.

Link to thread HERE.

Not a lot of parts in aircraft are made of steel. I've rarely had to design anything in steel, and I never worked on engine parts, so I can't help there very much in determining what type of steel it might be. However most steel or other alloys can be found either in MIL-HDBK-5 (outdated) or MMPDS (newer). MMPDS you probably won't easily find online except as expensive download, but MIL-HDBK-5 is easier to find (f.e. here: http://www.barringer1.com/mil_files/MIL-HDBK-5.pdf). It doesn't list hardness, but yield strength can be used as indication, and there are conversion tables online which allow you to see the relation between yield strength and hardness. I don't know of any steel that would have the kind of properties as you describe, with a very high hardness or yield strength, combined with a high ductility. In general the rule is, the harder the steel you choose in a design, the more brittle it will be, as you'd expect. It sounds more like it may be case hardened? So it's got a outer layer that is hardened, but inside still soft and mallable?  I do vaguely remember from materials classes that that was done for shafts in particular, but I could be wrong (it's been 2 decades). 

• Like 1