Something different from me... not really. But I like it.

As the title suggests, here is a variation on a theme.  People like what they like, and it seems I have a few knives that people really like.  That's fine, I enjoy making them, and I still exercise a little bit of creativity in each one.  Although I totally forgot to put my makers mark on this knife, which pisses me off, but you know, it could be worse.  It's really not hard to tell it is something I made...

Anyhow, it is made from Aldo's 1075, which I really dig.  Beaten copper, and a gorgeous piece of Desert Ironwood to finish it off.  I wish pictures could do the wood justice.  It glows in the light.  Good stuff.  Blade is 4.25" (10.8 cm) with a total length of 9.25" (22.9 cm).  Hope you like.

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

• Like 11

I've been staring at it on your website. There's something hypnotizing about the flowing lines. This one has a very special soul!

Edit: or I just had too much wine...very nice knife either way...

Edited by Joël Mercier
5 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

I wish pictures could do the wood justice.  It glows in the light.

Beautiful knife Wes. How about a short video clip? That might help bring it to life. That wood looks amazing already and I do love your beaten copper guard (Noob question: is it still called a guard if it doesn't actually stop your hand sliding forward or is there another name for it?)

The design and flow of your knife are outstanding. The only thing that caught my eye was the sheath, I think that burnished edges would look much cleaner :)

Oh, and, what is that type of sheath called? I have to try this mix of folded and stacked leather as well!

Edited by Jonas Liebel

it's hard not to know you made it.

you have a certain look and aesthetic that just screams WES!

beautiful!

-Gabriel

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the compliments!

16 hours ago, Jonas Liebel said:

The design and flow of your knife are outstanding. The only thing that caught my eye was the sheath, I think that burnished edges would look much cleaner :)

Oh, and, what is that type of sheath called? I have to try this mix of folded and stacked leather as well!

Most of the edges were burnished but after you said something, I went back and burnished the ones I missed.  Good looking out Jonas.  I have no idea if this type of sheath has a name.  It was an adaptation I came up with(and I am sure I am not the first) since I like snap sheaths and pouch sheaths, but hate wet forming.  So its a mix :)

21 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Beautiful knife Wes. How about a short video clip? That might help bring it to life. That wood looks amazing already and I do love your beaten copper guard (Noob question: is it still called a guard if it doesn't actually stop your hand sliding forward or is there another name for it?)

Ask and ye shall receive.  I guess you could call it a bolster at that point, but I am not overly fond of that word, so I just call it a guard :)

2 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

Ask and ye shall receive

Thank you Wes. I see now about the wood. That is truly beautiful.

I really like it, Wes. Great fit and finish. Beautiful bit of wood. Showing off a bit with the plunge cuts . . . nice.

The only thing I would have done different is that I would have made the copper bolster even with the grip and used a slightly larger pin. But that's just an aesthetic preference.  Bravo execution all around.

Cheers!

Dave

Thanks Dave!  I work really hard on my plunges, so it makes me smile when people notice.

And I am always open to hearing aesthetic critique. It is good to step back and look my stuff through someone else's eyes.   

Very nice flow and execution, Wes.  I love that hammered finish too, on the guard.

Beautiful lines on the blade Wes, the plunge lines are super clean and the desert iron wood is beautiful. Overall that's top draw work, a knife and sheath that will give you a lifetime of service.

Edited by Steve Nowacki

Thank you Salem and Steve.  

Salem - People seem to really like the beaten copper, since I get requests for it a lot.  

Steve - I do my best man; I take pride in my plunges and the cleanness of my knives.

I love the combination of, simple fumctionality in design, obvious ergonomics, inclusion of teriffic aesthetic features and craftsmanship. A lot of principles worth paying attention to.