Traditional pocket knives

Well its been a long time since I've been back here, but after moving back to the city, time and work space are pretty scarce but I am getting an itch to make some knives. Lately I have been an a traditional slip joint kick and would like to try to make one myself. I understand the basic mechanics of how they work and have drawn a few on paper and have made a couple friction folders in the past but my one attempt at a slip joint was a bit of a failure ( I tried to make a mountain man style with the wide flat spring pinned onto the back)    have any of you fine makers made any traditional slip joints? any hints tips or suggestions? I will be attempting this mostly with hand tools as I sold off my big tools prior to the move. any and all thoughts and help appreciated 

I read through the thread above but I am still wondering a few things:  I have seen a few references saying that the spring should be relieved at the end where it meets the tang to allow lint to collect without affecting the action is that necessary in general and how would it look? (having a hard time picturing it) also how would one determine the spring pre tension or is it a lot of try it and see? I have seen people just offset the base of the spring away from the pivot to create spring tension but that makes for a bigger gap when the blade is closed and means that you have to re grind the spring to match the liners after setting the spring. Could one just bend the spring to set the tension prior to heat treat? Another thing I have noticed is that most of the springs do not seem to be tapered and some are actually thinest in the middle of the working part which I would think would lead to broken springs in either case if the tension were stiff enough (It has been drilled into me that all flat springs must be tapered to prevent breakage. maybe pocket knives are different?)  

You've gone past the limit of my knowledge on these already.  :lol:  Try over on the folding knife subforum at www.knifenetwork.com, they have a lot of excellent folder guys over there.  Of course, we're still the best forum for forged blades. ;)

I know most guys here are making fixed blades but I see no reason why I cant forge pocket knife blades ... after all thats how it was done in sheffield for a very long time. I am sure it has been posted here before but there is a very cool youtube video of a Sheffield blade forger taking about forging a ridiculous number of pocket knife blades per day for something like 70 years of his career. I have a small piece of pattern weld material that was the first piece I ever made and I would love to use it in a pocket knife at some point.  its about 3 inches by 1 1/4 and about 3/16ths thick I think it could be reforged to make a couple pocket knife blades from if I was careful. The last friction folder I made was a forged blade as well made from W1 drill rod forged and filed to precise thickness so its conceivable that very precise blades can be made with a combination of forging and filing to precision fits.