Gary Mulkey

Starting a New Mosaic Bowie

While I  was at The ICCE  Show, I promised Doug Ritter a knife for "Knife Rights".  Charles  Turnage was  generous  enough  to  donate some beautiful mastodon ivory for the  hilt.  I decided to make a mosaic  Bowie with a frame  tang and curved partial pommel wrap.  I haven't  decided  if  I  will inlay the ivory  or not.

Here's my start on the steel:

IMG_5987_optIMG_5991_optIMG_5996_optIMG_5999_optIMG_6002_optIMG_6020_opt

Hope you enjoy this WIP.  If you have any questions please feel free to ask.  I'll  try to keep  you  updated on my progress.

• Like 5

Wow, I like that pattern!  IMG_6020_opt

• Like 1

On 9/28/2017 at 6:26 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

Sweet, another Gary WIP!

I'm with Brian, will watch this closely, thanks for doing another wip Gary. Very sweet pattern.  

Progressing with the mosaic:

IMG_6031_opt

IMG_6033_optIMG_6034_optIMG_6036_opt

Now that I have all of the welding done on the Damascus billet, I'll try to get it forged into a blade tomorrow.  If you have questions on what I'm doing, feel free to ask.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

OK, I'll bite.

I am as dense as an old anvil when it comes to this pattern welding stuff. I've done a little cable and simple layer but I do not understand how you get blocks like that to weld up, end to end, even if tack welded. I keep thinking you'd have to stack them vertically and moosh them from end to end.:huh:

21 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

OK, I'll bite.

I am as dense as an old anvil when it comes to this pattern welding stuff. I've done a little cable and simple layer but I do not understand how you get blocks like that to weld up, end to end, even if tack welded. I keep thinking you'd have to stack them vertically and moosh them from end to end.:huh:

The  tiles are cut on a  45 degree angle and overlapped.

When I promised  Doug to make a knife for  "Knife Rights" this  year, I  told  him that I would  make something big & showy.  Well I think  that I got the first half  of that done.  :) The second half is still to be  accomplished.

Here's the knife  rough forged:

IMG_6039_opt

And a rough ground & quick etch just to see what the pattern turned out like:

IMG_6053_opt

The light & dark spots are due to the uneven rough grind.  (I was  in a  hurry to see the pattern.)

• Like 3

Your the king of bowies Gary! Love your pattern welding. I guess it will get a false edge on the back right? 

• Like 1

Impressive work also the new nick, Sir king bowie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

When I promised  Doug to make a knife for  "Knife Rights" this  year, I  told  him that I would  make something big & showy.  Well I think  that I got the first half  of that done.  :) The second half is still to be  accomplished.

Here's the knife  rough forged:

IMG_6039_opt

And a rough ground & quick etch just to see what the pattern turned out like:

IMG_6053_opt

The light & dark spots are due to the uneven rough grind.  (I was  in a  hurry to see the pattern.)

Gary, I really love that pattern! Usually I am not really interested in Damascus. Just a personal preference thing more than anything! However I find myself really liking this one. I am tuned in to see the end result!! Two thumbs up!!

• Like 2

I'm really enjoying this, can't wait to see it finished. Looks like a great knife for a good cause. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately today while preparing the blade for H/T I discovered a small but unacceptable flaw in the Damascus.  :) So now my extra large 13"  blade is now a more average 10".  Since the flaw was toward the rear of the blade, it now has no ricasso making it more of a 19th century blade rather than the modern Bowie that I started with.  This will require a new hilt design but fortunately I hadn't cut into the ivory yet so that shouldn't be a problem.  ;) I think that I  can probably come up  with a historical style hilt to match the blade.

IMG_6069_opt

• Like 1

bob.jpg

• Like 4

I designed a historical style hilt for the modified blade  last night.  While the blade was in the tempering oven, I got a  start on the new style hilt.  This may give you an idea of where I'm going with it:

IMG_6075_optIMG_6077_opt

IMG_6083_opt

Once that I have the ivory shaped & the pin holes drilled, I will cut the top  & bottom of the frame tang apart to make room for a threaded extension to the integral tang to  enable a pommel  nut to be used.

• Like 2

I've now got all  of the hilt components roughed out.  I'll start the fit & finish tomorrow.

IMG_6090_optIMG_6095_opt

As you can see, I'm giving this one a bit of a Henry Schively style handle with a little of me added to it.

• Like 1

I actually like that better than the original design!

• Like 1

I wasn't sure how I would feel about it without the ricasso either, but yeah, looks awesome! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I wasn't sure how I would feel about it without the ricasso either, but yeah, looks awesome! 

Thanks.  Many of  the original  Bowie knives were made this  way.  It just takes the right style of guard & hilt for  it  to look  right.

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Thanks.  Many of  the original  Bowie knives were made this  way.  It just takes the right style of guard & hilt for  it  to look  right.

The only difference is their's didn't look this good. I researched some photos of bowies from the confederacy, and the blades were strange at best. I saw double D guards, dagger type blades, sweeping weird shaped handles... Maybe they made their own bowies out of salvage steel and didn't have a designated blacksmith/armourer? Maybe the ferriers took this task. That's all I can figure. Anyway, I like the no-ricasso look. 

I'm with Alan, I like new design better!

Here's the first dry fit-up:

IMG_6111

IMG_6114_opt

I'll try to get this  one finished tomorrow with some pics of  the final outcome.  Sorry for  the poor photos but I  just didn't have adequate lighting.  Hopefully  I'll  be  able to  do  better tomorrow.

• Like 2