By the Pricking of My Thumbs...

JPH

Something Wicked This Way Comes....

Wicked pretty much describes this one on several different levels.. Blade is a three core Twist/Counter twist outters with a interrupted twist centre. SS HT foil and 1045 for the cores.. The edge is 1070/

Getting the tip to "work" took some serious T&E but I finally got it to the right shape and curve. The curved fuller was a real bear to do but I managed to get it done by using a shorter fullering set in my fly press.. Recurved blades are a real challenge sometimes..especially when they  are as long as this one is   ..33" thereabouts.

Some of my fossil Boz Taurus ivory with bronze studs and bolster/pommel plate complete the little bugger....

I call, it my Scimayagatana..a cross between a scimitar, yataghan and a katana... I dunno what I was thinking..just got another wild hare and just went with it.. and this is what came of that..  OK..my mind works in odd ways sometimes ...well more like usually...

This blade wants to cut and follow through is smooth and very "powerful" due to the centre of gravity being so "forward" due to that recurved section..

So here it is...in all its Wickedness... Now I got to figure out what to do for a sheath...the hits just keep on a comin'...

JPH

DSC04389A.jpg

DSC04397A.jpg

DSC04398A.jpg

DSC04400A.jpg

Edited by JPH
  • Like 4

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

Yes Sir, that is awesome! Just sitting here taking this one in and thinking. Good Lord, I would not want to on the receiving end of one like that!!

By the way, I am still waiting for the WIP you promised about the fossil Boz Taurus ivory. I showed some of your work to my wife a while back and when she read the part about, " fossil Boz Taurus ivory"

The wife goes, I thought ivory was banned, Weeeeeell yes and no, you got to know what is legal or not legal, and have the documentation or you can get into a heap of trouble!! The sweetest thing about his handle material, is it ain't a fossil of ivory, but you wouldn't know that to look at it!!!

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

Dang nice pattern welding there JPH, but of course it is!  Makes me want to try that HT foil in a billet.

Please come and waste some otherwise perfectly good time, looking at my knives!

www.prometheanknives.com

Wicked!

Something I've wondered about but haven't taken the time to experiment: Have you ever tried forging in the fuller and then bending the curve to the blade?  How practical would it be?

James Helm - Helm Enterprises, Forging Division

Come see me at the Blade Show! Table 26R.

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/

Hello:

Jas: I do a roughed in fuller say 2/3's done..then do the curve..it is the clean up after the curve that causes the problems..so I just made shorter (3/4" or so) fullers for my fly press...it takes a little bit longer but the  1 3/4" long fullers are too "long" to get the curve worked in right for clean up...

JPH

• Like 1

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...