MLenaghan

The Lake Sword

9 hours ago, MLenaghan said:

The antler is nice piece of elk and 95% solid, I think the pictures are showing really rough grinding marks... also I have a sword with the entire grips antler and it's held up really well even after grinding pretty thin, then again with my luck it will fall over and break in half :ph34r:

As for the why? haha not sure I can really answer that! my wife says I cant sit still or relax... and bladesmithing has always been a great creative outlet for me... and I've always kept it a hobby and tried to avoid selling blades as it adds stress to something that I use to fight my stress! Also means I can have complete control of my project without having to worry about other input, unless it's wanted of course. As to why blades like this well I love historical swords, and making copies of some have taught me a great deal about the design, construction and overall feel of a sword it's still more or less following a blueprint. My day jobs is a custom TIG welder but most days I'm still following someone else design... a sword like this one is a open idea in the sense If Dave used this design, I'm sure the sword would look very different! If 10 smiths made this sword you'd have 10 different blades. but honestly I suck with words for this stuff, if we ever meet in person it's something I'd love to discuss around a camp fire and some cold dark beer! 

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I like the answer! It is hard to describe what drives us to others but, inside you know you just got to follow that feeling!! 

Best of luck and I can't wait to see this one when it is done!!

This is an epic project! Is that whole beauty made of melted down nails? Early iron age is so mysterious and your project is incredibly exciting to follow. Thanks for sharing.

Well have some work to show as of now, I weld and polish a lot of stainless steel for my day job so lack the motivation to come home and polishing a sword but it's at a point that's showing off the blade construction and the hearth steel so I'm happy! Also been carving the handle and getting all the pieces to fit which is time consuming work. Without rushing it the goals to finish before the new year, and maybe spend another 6 months making a sheath hahah :P

IMG_20171106_184649_156.jpg20171120_180656_resized_01.JPG20171120_180701_resized_01.JPG20171120_180711_resized_01.JPG

• Like 5

This is so cool. Would you mind sharing a bit more about how you made your hearth steel? I'm mainly wondering about charge weights, and frequencies. I love japanease culture, but I don't have time or resources for a full on tatara smelt. Seems you've found a way around all that. Very cool sword. 

That blade is just awesome, it is a showpiece in it's own right!!

Holy hell, that steel is awesome!  So much character

Duuude! That steel looks like something from outer space! 

I love the steel, the handle design, the blade shape... Epic.

WOW thanks a lot you guys for the positive responses! Haven't been on the forum as much but this reminds me why it's the best place on the internet!!!:D

hi Zeb Camper, I don't have a formula for hearth steel, and to be honest learnt everything from the bottons and bloomers thread here and hanging out at Scott Roush place.. honestly I get the hearth running till there's a couple good "drops" in the charcoal , then I stick a long thin rod or nail into the center of it, wait a few minutes and pull it out. if the tips melted off and sparkling I know it's ready. After that it's a small handful of nails or little bolts ever "drop" or 2nd drop. I'll throw small amounts of beach sand in randomly for a little slag. I'll run it till it doesnt wanna take any more and then pull it. this is normally 3-4 beers in...     goodluck!

Hi Peter Fontenla, the blades a little different, it's like a large bronze age leaf blade, hollow ground with a shallow double fuller. The center rib is rather thick but tapers very fast to the edge. 

blades 730 grams,  71.5 cm length   88cm overall

53mm wide at the base and 6mm thick tapering to 3mm about 10 cm from the tip

• Like 1

Well I'm happy to say the lake sword is complete! Been a long project well over a year and many attempts in the making, and the biggest thing I'm taking away from this is really taking the time and extra effort seems to go a long way.  Another huge thanks to David DelaGradelle for letting me base this sword off of his design! Now I find myself is a strange place with out a big project on the go, need to get back to the forge :D

IMG_20171206_182705_591.jpgIMG_7245_01.JPGIMG_7251.JPGIMG_7258.JPGIMG_7271.JPGIMG_7259.JPG

• Like 4

That is just amazing! I would like to see some studio quality pictures. I'm sure there are details that cannot be fully appreciated unless seen in person. 

Holy crap Michael, that is superb work!  David's design is gorgeous, and you did it justice.  This is a fantastic piece of art Michael.  

That's even better than I was expecting, and that's saying something!:o  what is that written on the pommel plate?  I can't quite make it out...

Anyway, in recognitions of the spirit and skill that went into this, I hereby nominate you for a Fiery Beard!  Unless you already have one, I don't remember... but you deserve one anyway.  Do I hear a second?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That's even better than I was expecting, and that's saying something!:o  what is that written on the pommel plate?  I can't quite make it out...

Anyway, in recognitions of the spirit and skill that went into this, I hereby nominate you for a Fiery Beard!  Unless you already have one, I don't remember... but you deserve one anyway.  Do I hear a second?

I'll second that.

That sword is mind-blowingly awesome.

Congratulations Michael! Fire it up!

Most impressive indeed.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:37 PM, MLenaghan said:

Well have some work to show as of now, I weld and polish a lot of stainless steel for my day job so lack the motivation to come home and polishing a sword but it's at a point that's showing off the blade construction and the hearth steel so I'm happy! Also been carving the handle and getting all the pieces to fit which is time consuming work. Without rushing it the goals to finish before the new year, and maybe spend another 6 months making a sheath hahah :P

IMG_20171106_184649_156.jpg20171120_180656_resized_01.JPG20171120_180701_resized_01.JPG20171120_180711_resized_01.JPG

My jaw hit the ground when i seen these pictures!! Awesome blade!

Fiery beard for sure!!!